Changing cluster size

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

Is there a utility to change disk cluster size without corrupting data? One
of my logical disks has a cluster size of 64k. This means that disk
defragmenter cannot defrag. it.

Thanks!
13 answers Last reply
More about changing cluster size
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    http://www.partition-manager.com/n_pm_requir.htm

    Andrew Chalk wrote:

    > Is there a utility to change disk cluster size without corrupting data? One
    > of my logical disks has a cluster size of 64k. This means that disk
    > defragmenter cannot defrag. it.
    >
    > Thanks!

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    Andrew Chalk wrote:
    > Is there a utility to change disk cluster size without corrupting data? One
    > of my logical disks has a cluster size of 64k. This means that disk
    > defragmenter cannot defrag. it.

    You don't say what the file system is.

    If it is NTFS or FAT32, then Partition Magic can do the job for you.

    If it is FAT16, then you are probably screwed unless you want to
    convert the partition to NTFS or FAT32. If a FAT16 partition is
    larger than 2 GB, then 64 KB is the only possible cluster size:
    you will not be able to reduce the cluster size unless you first
    reduce the partition size to 2 GB or less.

    You also don't say what your defragger is and what service pack
    level your W2K setup is. I, for example, have no problems with
    64 KB clusters on a partition that I use for very large files -
    but I did have problems a couple of years ago when I was using a
    much older defragger that dated back to my NT4 days.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    Good point. This is W2K with SP4. NTFS.

    How come defrag cant handle it?

    - Andrew
    "Rob Stow" <rob.stow@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Andrew Chalk wrote:
    > > Is there a utility to change disk cluster size without corrupting data?
    One
    > > of my logical disks has a cluster size of 64k. This means that disk
    > > defragmenter cannot defrag. it.
    > >

    > You don't say what the file system is.
    >
    > If it is NTFS or FAT32, then Partition Magic can do the job for you.
    >
    > If it is FAT16, then you are probably screwed unless you want to
    > convert the partition to NTFS or FAT32. If a FAT16 partition is
    > larger than 2 GB, then 64 KB is the only possible cluster size:
    > you will not be able to reduce the cluster size unless you first
    > reduce the partition size to 2 GB or less.
    >
    > You also don't say what your defragger is and what service pack
    > level your W2K setup is. I, for example, have no problems with
    > 64 KB clusters on a partition that I use for very large files -
    > but I did have problems a couple of years ago when I was using a
    > much older defragger that dated back to my NT4 days.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    Well you can do that in Partion Magic

    "Andrew Chalk" <achalk@XXXmagnacartasoftware.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a utility to change disk cluster size without corrupting data?
    One
    > of my logical disks has a cluster size of 64k. This means that disk
    > defragmenter cannot defrag. it.
    >
    > Thanks!

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    Andrew Chalk wrote:

    > Is there a utility to change disk cluster size without corrupting data? One
    > of my logical disks has a cluster size of 64k. This means that disk
    > defragmenter cannot defrag. it.

    I can't solve your problem, but I do admire it! How do you find out what your
    cluster size is? I'm running on a used HD formatted by somebody else...

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    Defrag, Analyze, report.

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Andrew Chalk wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a utility to change disk cluster size without corrupting data? One
    >>of my logical disks has a cluster size of 64k. This means that disk
    >>defragmenter cannot defrag. it.
    >

    > I can't solve your problem, but I do admire it! How do you find out what your
    > cluster size is? I'm running on a used HD formatted by somebody else...

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    I'd just like to know how safe the Partition Magic resize cluster
    thing is. It seems totally unsafe to me. I'm scared to even think
    about it. If changing cluster size without re-formatting is a trivial
    thing then I believe more utils would be doing it.

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 09:00:02 -0500, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Defrag, Analyze, report.
    >
    >The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Andrew Chalk wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there a utility to change disk cluster size without corrupting data? One
    >>>of my logical disks has a cluster size of 64k. This means that disk
    >>>defragmenter cannot defrag. it.
    >>

    >> I can't solve your problem, but I do admire it! How do you find out what your
    >> cluster size is? I'm running on a used HD formatted by somebody else...

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    Bob I wrote:

    > Defrag, Analyze, report.

    Do you get the analyze/report thing only after defragging? I don't trust
    defrag.

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    > > Andrew Chalk wrote:
    > >
    > >>Is there a utility to change disk cluster size without corrupting data? One
    > >>of my logical disks has a cluster size of 64k. This means that disk
    > >>defragmenter cannot defrag. it.
    > >
    > > I can't solve your problem, but I do admire it! How do you find out what your
    > > cluster size is? I'm running on a used HD formatted by somebody else...

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev
    "I don't need instructions, I have a hammer."
    -- T.W. Wier
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    I've used PM on numerous occassions and never had a problem - touch wood

    <none@nowhere.123> wrote in message

    > I'd just like to know how safe the Partition Magic resize cluster
    > thing is. It seems totally unsafe to me. I'm scared to even think
    > about it. If changing cluster size without re-formatting is a trivial
    > thing then I believe more utils would be doing it.
    >

    > On Mon, 09 May 2005 09:00:02 -0500, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Defrag, Analyze, report.
    > >
    > >The Real Bev wrote:

    One

    > >> I can't solve your problem, but I do admire it! How do you find out
    what your
    > >> cluster size is? I'm running on a used HD formatted by somebody
    else...

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Andrew Chalk wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a utility to change disk cluster size without corrupting data? One
    >>of my logical disks has a cluster size of 64k. This means that disk
    >>defragmenter cannot defrag. it.
    >

    > I can't solve your problem, but I do admire it! How do you find out what your
    > cluster size is? I'm running on a used HD formatted by somebody else...

    An easy way it to run ChkDsk and wait for the summary report
    when it is done. You can speed it up a bit by using the /I and
    /C switches.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    Open Defrag, Select Analyze, Open report.

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Bob I wrote:
    >
    >>Defrag, Analyze, report.
    >

    > Do you get the analyze/report thing only after defragging? I don't trust
    > defrag.
    >

    >>The Real Bev wrote:

    >>>I can't solve your problem, but I do admire it! How do you find out what your
    >>>cluster size is? I'm running on a used HD formatted by somebody else...

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    And there is a lot of software to resize a cluster.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    I just bought and used it. The drive is still readable, so there's a sample
    of one you can add.

    - A
    <none@nowhere.123> wrote in message

    > I'd just like to know how safe the Partition Magic resize cluster
    > thing is. It seems totally unsafe to me. I'm scared to even think
    > about it. If changing cluster size without re-formatting is a trivial
    > thing then I believe more utils would be doing it.
    >

    > On Mon, 09 May 2005 09:00:02 -0500, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Defrag, Analyze, report.
    > >
    > >The Real Bev wrote:

    One

    > >> I can't solve your problem, but I do admire it! How do you find out
    what your
    > >> cluster size is? I'm running on a used HD formatted by somebody
    else...

Hardware Defragment Microsoft Windows