Compare intel i3 and dual or quad core

linda0263

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
Hello, wanting to buy a new desktop 'bundle'..i3, quad, dual core???. Best BUY has a Gateway Intel® Core™ i3-530 processor E5300, 6GB DDR2 memory, double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW drive, 1TB hard drive, Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD, multi-in-1 media reader AND an HP desktop with AMD Athlon™ II 250 dual-core processor, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with LightScribe, 640GB hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE graphics, 6-in-1 media reader...TMI!!! This is for personal/college home use...advice. Also I am concerned about the 'wireless' connection. I am understanding that the GW is pre-equipped..I have ben using my HP laptop so I need the set and transition to be as simple as possible as I am not very pc savvy especially hook/set up. PLEASE HELP ASAP, I need to grab one of these b4 they all get gone in the stores.

greenfield

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hello: Go for the HP good customer service etc..

Although,my advice to you would be to entirely build your own
computer, if you do you can choose whatever you want and save
money on that and also save money on the computer overall because
companies tend to overprice everything

here is a good Benchmark:

AMD Athlon II X2 250 / i3-530 Benchmark

http://www.goldfries.com/hardware-reviews/amd-athlon-ii-x2-250-processor-review/

best of luck from G...

dontstealmyfish

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
The gateway with the i3 is good, its a dual core with special features to make it perform similarly to a core2 equivalent of a quad core. the transition may be a bit bumpy if the operating systems between your old HP and the new gateway are DIFFERENT. unfortunately building your own pc from scratch isnt ALWAYS cheaper, especially with some of the sales stores have, plus it requires learning more about computers. You said you are not tech savvy so this might not be a quick solution. in short the gateway looks like a good computer that will allow u to do email, websurfing, word processing as well as more computer power intensive tasks if you so need that later.

TRENDING THREADS