Why shouldn't I have to instal 4*512MB mojules

Either setup will work. Just install per color coded slots. Match the colors with same size and speed memory and you'll be running in dual channel. When running with all 4 memory slots filled, some boards run at a slower speed. I get around it by setting the memory speed and timings in manual mode. Then check the settings with cpu-z, a free download.

sirvent67

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
in general I have seen fewer problems with the 2x1gb as opposed to the 4x512mb setup. and some motherboards wont run the memory at full speed when you fill all banks. my nforce 3 motherboard (MSI) would not run ddr400 at full speed with all banks full, it dropped down to 333, and became very unstable if you tried to force ddr 400.

pat

Expert
in general I have seen fewer problems with the 2x1gb as opposed to the 4x512mb setup. and some motherboards wont run the memory at full speed when you fill all banks. my nforce 3 motherboard (MSI) would not run ddr400 at full speed with all banks full, it dropped down to 333, and became very unstable if you tried to force ddr 400.

the motherboard don't really care... the memory controller in in the CPU with AMD Athlon64, so it is because of the CPU. latest revision seems fine with 4 modules.