system is shutting down

I have this situation on many laptops with windows 2000 SP4. All these
laptops are up to date with MS patches.

This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off.
Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT
AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. Time before shutdown: 00:04:59 Message: System Shutdown

I don't have any error or any virus discover by SAV.

Any ideea ???

thepoet

Distinguished
May 3, 2005

I have a very similar problem with Windows2000 Server SP4, it keeps
re-booting randomly, every 2 to 4 days, only once 2 times in 2 hours. ITs a
fresh install, not connected tot he network or internet, so it can not be a
virus, but I scanned anyway for blaster and of course its clean. Tempature
and volatge is all ok ( used probe ) and tested memory and hard disks, all
ok. Power supply is 500 watts.
I have up to SP4, but no patches after that yet. I have been on this problem
for 2 weeks now, and seeing a gew posts with very similar descriptions, but
no solutions or ways to pinpoint the problem.

"Tiri" <Tiri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have this situation on many laptops with windows 2000 SP4. All these
> laptops are up to date with MS patches.
>
> This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log
off.
> Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT
> AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. Time before shutdown: 00:04:59 Message: System Shutdown
>
> I don't have any error or any virus discover by SAV.
>
> Any ideea ???

I have a vague recollection that a certain virus used to
do this. Get a second opinion and scan your machine
from here:

www.antivirus.com ("free online scan").

You might also have a joker in the business who has
administrative access to all PCs and who shuts down
your machines remotely, with a time delay of 5 minutes.
See if the shutdown happens when the machine is
disconnected from the network, and don't forget to
check your scheduled tasks in c:\windows\tasks.

I already scan all laptops that have this problem, and didn't found any virus.
Is not W32.Blaster.Worm virus.

All these laptop are not in the network, so, no jocker ...

Thank you

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Tiri" <Tiri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have this situation on many laptops with windows 2000 SP4. All these
> > laptops are up to date with MS patches.
> >
> > This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log
> off.
> > Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT
> > AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. Time before shutdown: 00:04:59 Message: System Shutdown
> >
> > I don't have any error or any virus discover by SAV.
> >
> > Any ideea ???
>
> I have a vague recollection that a certain virus used to
> do this. Get a second opinion and scan your machine
> from here:
>
> www.antivirus.com ("free online scan").
>
> You might also have a joker in the business who has
> administrative access to all PCs and who shuts down
> your machines remotely, with a time delay of 5 minutes.
> See if the shutdown happens when the machine is
> disconnected from the network, and don't forget to
> check your scheduled tasks in c:\windows\tasks.

Did you scan them with an independent scanner as
I suggested? Did you check your scheduled tasks?

> I already scan all laptops that have this problem, and didn't found any
virus.
> Is not W32.Blaster.Worm virus.
>
> All these laptop are not in the network, so, no jocker ...
>
> Thank you
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

> > "Tiri" <Tiri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have this situation on many laptops with windows 2000 SP4. All these
> > > laptops are up to date with MS patches.
> > >
> > > This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log
> > off.
> > > Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT
> > > AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. Time before shutdown: 00:04:59 Message: System
Shutdown

> > > I don't have any error or any virus discover by SAV.
> > >
> > > Any ideea ???
> >
> > I have a vague recollection that a certain virus used to
> > do this. Get a second opinion and scan your machine
> > from here:
> >
> > www.antivirus.com ("free online scan").
> >
> > You might also have a joker in the business who has
> > administrative access to all PCs and who shuts down
> > your machines remotely, with a time delay of 5 minutes.
> > See if the shutdown happens when the machine is
> > disconnected from the network, and don't forget to
> > check your scheduled tasks in c:\windows\tasks.

cgreen

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
SOLUTION
I had this problem and i foudn a solution. In my case the virus said my computer would shut down in one hour so i had time to do the following action. If yours is only giving u a couple of minutes then u can extend the time by doing this

Whenever the "computer will shut down in 60/30 seconds" box appears, navigate to Start --> Run, and copy/paste the following command, and press Enter

shutdown -a

Then do a system restore to an earlier date through the control panel to before u got the virus. This might change other settings on ur lap top to the way they were on that date, but this is no big deal and at least u get rid of the virus. It seems to be deeply rooted in the operating system. I tried everything and this was the only thing that worked!
Carolyn