New Computer, First Build, Need Assistance

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 26, 2006 9:52:52 PM

Hi,
I recently (for xmas) got about $1700, which I want to use to build my own computer. Since I've never done this before, I wanted to make sure that the following setup won't explode in my face. Thank You in advance for any help you can give me.

-Sof

My System:
CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor
(i wanted to go with this motherboard rather then the lower model because I do multi-task a lot)

GPU- eVGA GeForce 8800GTS (I like to remain at top of the new tech and this is the new gpu out in the market...plus my computer at the moment fails in GPU power so I'm mkaing up for it with this one)

Mobo- eVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard (good reviews, nForce 680i....looks pretty solid)

Memory- CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory (fast)

PSU- OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply

Case- APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
(i no it can be flimsy and what not, but it looks pretty sweet and I can't find anything better)

HDD- Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
(this doesn't seem like alot of space but I already have 3 250gb each external hard drives)

Sound- Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card
(eh, I don't care about sound, if a cheaper solution possible tell me plz)

DVD-W/CD-W- SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black IDE Model SH-S182M/BEBN - OEM

Mouse/monitor/etc- using current ones (22" widescreen lcd...very proud of it)

More about : computer build assistance

December 26, 2006 10:17:50 PM

If ur not bothered about sound just use the onboard sound on the mobo, its perfectly acceptable and will save a few pennies.
December 26, 2006 10:24:34 PM

IMHO, seems as if you have done some homework on whats hot and whats not....

System looks solid, I'm jelous of it already.
Related resources
December 26, 2006 10:32:45 PM

thank you!
December 27, 2006 10:33:57 AM

make sure you get decent timings on the RAM (4-4-4-12 over 5-5-5-15) so it runs better and make sure you set the timings manually in the bios or they will probably run at the default 5-5-5-15 timings
December 27, 2006 12:03:56 PM

I suggest going with Seagate 7200.10 series hard drives, they have great performace and comes with a 5 year warrenty instead of 3 years. Other than that, I would go with the E6600 and put the money you save from that into cooling such as liquid or just a really good tower. Flewis is right on the money about the timings, and don't think that you are limited to using Corsair. Their are other great memmory makers out there also such as, G.Skill, GeIL, and OCZ.
December 27, 2006 12:45:28 PM

I would stay away from reference design 680i motherboards, such as eVGA. Read/write corruption problems occur when they are used with SATA drives. NVIDIA is working on the problem and has released beta drivers. But from what I have read, the problem has not been completely solved yet. I am an eVGA fan myself, but if you are considering going witht the 680i chipset, I would chouse an Asus or MSI board (non-reference design) until NVIDIA solves all the issues.

Read about it here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/680i_hotfix.html
!