viewing pictures

when i view pictures it comes up in microsoft photo editor that comes with
windows. but i am just wandering how to change the so the pictures will come
up in the internet explorer window? thanks

R-click the file in question, select Open With, select Internet
Explorer(or browse to iexplore.exe) and check off "always use" and then
hit OK.

sthompson wrote:

> when i view pictures it comes up in microsoft photo editor that comes with
> windows. but i am just wandering how to change the so the pictures will come
> up in the internet explorer window? thanks

Photoeditor does NOT come with Windows. It comes with Microsoft Office 97/2000/XP. You will need to restore your settings for those image types.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"sthompson" <sthompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E07B31E3-95B2-4EF1-8E2E-78FBDC082631@microsoft.com...
> when i view pictures it comes up in microsoft photo editor that comes with
> windows. but i am just wandering how to change the so the pictures will come
> up in the internet explorer window? thanks

No that doesn't work. The DDE settings must be set appropriately and that will not do it.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uAJ$KIlUFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> R-click the file in question, select Open With, select Internet
> Explorer(or browse to iexplore.exe) and check off "always use" and then
> hit OK.
>
> sthompson wrote:
>
> > when i view pictures it comes up in microsoft photo editor that comes with
> > windows. but i am just wandering how to change the so the pictures will come
> > up in the internet explorer window? thanks

That's strange, 'cause that's exactly what I did before I posted that.
Of course I just did .jpg's. YMMV ?

George Hester wrote:

> No that doesn't work. The DDE settings must be set appropriately and that will not do it.

You will find that it is not set up correctly. What you have works yes but is not right. Look in your Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options... | File Types | select JPG | Advanced | seelect open | Edit | is Use DDE checked. If so then you have the default setting for Windows. If not then you don't. This will get it for you:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg]
@="jpegfile"
"Content Type"="image/jpeg"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\ShellEx]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"

This goes in a reg file call it jpg.reg. Then double-click it. Now we have to set jpegfile correctly. Here it is:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile]
@="JPEG Image"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\CLSID]
@="{25336920-03F9-11cf-8FD0-00AA00686F13}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe,8"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\editinphotodraw]
@="Edit in PhotoDraw"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\editinphotodraw\command]
@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\MI1933~1\\Office\\PHOTODRW.EXE /dde"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\editinphotodraw\ddeexec]
@="[open(\"%1\")]"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\editinphotodraw\ddeexec\application]
@="photodrw"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\editinphotodraw\ddeexec\topic]
@="system"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe\" -nohome"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\open\ddeexec]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\open\ddeexec\Application]
@="IExplore"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\open\ddeexec\Topic]
@="WWW_OpenURL"

Put this in a ASCI file call it jpegfile.reg and then double-click it. Now look at your DDE settings. Can you tell from above where the DDE is set? If you guessed in the part where you see ddeexec then you got it right.

This is documented at Microsoft:

George Hester