alex

I have set up a web cam but when I direct it to the street outside the light
level would appear to be too much and the picture appears bleached out. When
the camera is directed indoors, where the light intensity is lower, the pictures
are fine. I have tied three different makes of camera so the problem would not
appear to be there. Any idea of the solution please?

Alex.

dylan

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001

<Alex> wrote in message news:bjs5a1lqeo0opas6h1dhdmg7ribjarqmql@4ax.com...
>I have set up a web cam but when I direct it to the street outside the
>light
> level would appear to be too much and the picture appears bleached out.
> When
> the camera is directed indoors, where the light intensity is lower, the
> pictures
> are fine. I have tied three different makes of camera so the problem
> would not
> appear to be there. Any idea of the solution please?
>
> Alex.

What make is it?

Some are worse than others when pointed out at daylight. You'll probably
need to ensure it's all in full-auto and then see if there is anywhere in
your software to adjust brightness, contrast, gain (and possibly gamma and
saturation) to try and get the best compromise. You could also try putting
it in manual and doing the same but it won't be able to cope with any light
changes then. It's probably the dynamic range it can't cope with.

In news:d7v219$684$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk,
dylan <no@mowhere.com> the stupid moronic freak from an alien planet where
his/her mother was a universal whore, wrote:
> <Alex> wrote in message
>> I have set up a web cam but when I direct it to the street outside
>> the light
>> level would appear to be too much and the picture appears bleached
>> out. When
>> the camera is directed indoors, where the light intensity is lower,
>> the pictures
>> are fine. I have tied three different makes of camera so the
>> problem would not
>> appear to be there. Any idea of the solution please?

take some old sunglasses/.. remove the lenses and blutack one onto the
camera lens....point it outside and see the difference...

use different old sunglass lenses to get the right balance....

its called improvising...

regards slayer

alex

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 17:17:17 +0100, "ThE SlAyEr" <phlem1@speed-mail.co.uk> wrote:
>In news:d7v219$684$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk,
>dylan <no@mowhere.com> the stupid moronic freak from an alien planet where
>his/her mother was a universal whore, wrote:
>> <Alex> wrote in message
>>> I have set up a web cam but when I direct it to the street outside
>>> the light
>>> level would appear to be too much and the picture appears bleached
>>> out. When
>>> the camera is directed indoors, where the light intensity is lower,
>>> the pictures
>>> are fine. I have tied three different makes of camera so the
>>> problem would not
>>> appear to be there. Any idea of the solution please?
>>>

>take some old sunglasses/.. remove the lenses and blutack one onto the
>camera lens....point it outside and see the difference...
>
>use different old sunglass lenses to get the right balance....
>
>its called improvising...
>
>regards slayer

I thought of something like that but then in the evening or when it becomes
cloudy I would have to remove the lens. Dylan's ideas are what I would like to
implement but the cameras did not have any set-up facility and my display option
in Control Panel does not have any either.

It has been suggested that another video card might help. Any ideas?

dylan

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001

<Alex> wrote in message news:n4i6a1dojal7gc02e9l5v6c8n3d38si3cl@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 17:17:17 +0100, "ThE SlAyEr" <phlem1@speed-mail.co.uk>
> wrote:
>>In news:d7v219$684$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk,
>>dylan <no@mowhere.com> the stupid moronic freak from an alien planet where
>>his/her mother was a universal whore, wrote:
>>> <Alex> wrote in message
>>>>

>>take some old sunglasses/.. remove the lenses and blutack one onto the
>>camera lens....point it outside and see the difference...
>>
>>use different old sunglass lenses to get the right balance....
>>
>>its called improvising...
>>
>>regards slayer
>>
> I thought of something like that but then in the evening or when it
> becomes
> cloudy I would have to remove the lens. Dylan's ideas are what I would
> like to
> implement but the cameras did not have any set-up facility and my display
> option
> in Control Panel does not have any either.
>
> It has been suggested that another video card might help. Any ideas?

The cameras came with no setup in the software ?. I've never had one yet you
cannot adjust, what make is it ?
Not sure what the video card does for it.

alex

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 21:17:45 +0100, "dylan" <no@mowhere.com> wrote:

><Alex> wrote in message news:n4i6a1dojal7gc02e9l5v6c8n3d38si3cl@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 17:17:17 +0100, "ThE SlAyEr" <phlem1@speed-mail.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>>In news:d7v219$684$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk,
>>>dylan <no@mowhere.com> the stupid moronic freak from an alien planet where
>>>>>

>>>take some old sunglasses/.. remove the lenses and blutack one onto the
>>>camera lens....point it outside and see the difference...
>>>
>>>use different old sunglass lenses to get the right balance....
>>>
>>>its called improvising...
>>>
>>>regards slayer
>>>
>> I thought of something like that but then in the evening or when it
>> becomes
>> cloudy I would have to remove the lens. Dylan's ideas are what I would
>> like to
>> implement but the cameras did not have any set-up facility and my display
>> option
>> in Control Panel does not have any either.
>>
>> It has been suggested that another video card might help. Any ideas?
>
>The cameras came with no setup in the software ?. I've never had one yet you
>cannot adjust, what make is it ?
>Not sure what the video card does for it.

Its a VP-Eye camera and the CD had drivers but the software utility that came
with it was there to provide a display of the camera output (which also shows as
a bleached out picture in strong light) and a facility to store snapshots as
*.jpg files. I am not using this software to post my pictures to my web page
they are directed by Conquercam software which does as it should and posts
whatever is sent to it to my web page. My other digital family camera
automatically adjusts the f stop or shutter speed, according to the lighting
conditions prevailing at the time. I need a web camera with this sort of
control.

The video card processes the output from my camera before it is displayed on my
screen so I suspect that the person who suggested this solution thought it might
control the output of the camera generally but I think you are probably right
and it is not involved with my problem.

dylan

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001

I've looked at conquercam.

What happens if you goto:

View > options > video device> click the icon to the right of the Devicename
selected ?

Mine version comes up with 'properties' where you can alter brightness etc

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 19:51:48 +0100, Alex wrote:

>I thought of something like that but then in the evening or when it becomes
>cloudy I would have to remove the lens. Dylan's ideas are what I would like to
>implement but the cameras did not have any set-up facility and my display option
>in Control Panel does not have any either.
>
>It has been suggested that another video card might help. Any ideas?

Build a shade hood to surround the camera on the top and sides?

alex

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:12:38 +0100, "dylan" <no@mowhere.com> wrote:
>I've looked at conquercam.
>
>What happens if you goto:
>
>View > options > video device> click the icon to the right of the Devicename
>selected ?
>
>Mine version comes up with 'properties' where you can alter brightness etc

Bingo - thanks Dylan. I am very impressed with Conquerecam but have only just
installed it so don't know my way around it yet, however, the control panel you
discovered has an 'outside' option which has solved the problem completely.
Thanks again.

Alex.

dylan

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001

<Alex> wrote in message news:io29a1tq079psea1v1s3sb76vnjds9i0i0@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:12:38 +0100, "dylan" <no@mowhere.com> wrote:
>>I've looked at conquercam.
>>
>>What happens if you goto:
>>
>>View > options > video device> click the icon to the right of the
>>Devicename
>>selected ?
>>
>>Mine version comes up with 'properties' where you can alter brightness etc
>>
> Bingo - thanks Dylan. I am very impressed with Conquerecam but have only
> just
> installed it so don't know my way around it yet, however, the control
> panel you
> discovered has an 'outside' option which has solved the problem
> completely.
> Thanks again.
>
> Alex.

Cheers, I thought it must be there somewhere.

kim

Alex wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:12:38 +0100, "dylan" <no@mowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>I've looked at conquercam.
>>
>>What happens if you goto:
>>
>>View > options > video device> click the icon to the right of the Devicename
>>selected ?
>>
>>Mine version comes up with 'properties' where you can alter brightness etc
>>

> Bingo - thanks Dylan. I am very impressed with Conquerecam but have only just
> installed it so don't know my way around it yet, however, the control panel you
> discovered has an 'outside' option which has solved the problem completely.
> Thanks again.
>
> Alex.
Conquercam is good isn't it?. If for no other reason than it's minimal
system requirements. I am running a cam on an (dedicated) old PII 300Mhz
with 64Meg RAM, running Win2k...saves leaving my main PC on all the
time! Active Webcam (which I also like) used to 'miss' sending images
(trying to upload them every 2 seconds) because it couldn't cope with
the minimal specs of the computer, but Conquercam doesn't worry about
it. Quite happily goes about uploading for 2-4 hours (@ 2seconds). Once
the cam is placed properly and some IR illumination os provided for
night time viewing, it will be running 24 hours a day