Windows 7 problems first install OEM professional bsod

nater9

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Hello, first build, bios set up seems fine, set boot order to DVD/RW first, tried to boot from Windows 7 Pro OEM version, and it gets stuck at Windows logo (after loading windows files), then switches to BSOD. Here's my specs:
MSI P67GD65 motherboard
Corsair XMS 8 GB RAM (2x4GB)
WD 1TB Black HD
Antec (Earth Watts 500W)Power Supply
MSI R5450 HD graphics card
Intel i7 2600K CPU

I'm currently running the WD Lifeguard diagnostics tool. Quick test was okay, now running full test (1 hour left)...

nater9

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
RAM voltage appears to be around 1.48V.

I've heard it could be the video card as well, but how could you not have a video card installed when the motherboard has no onboard video? It's like the frickin' chicken and the egg... And/or I've heard "it's probably a driver".... well how can you update any drivers when the OS isn't even installed yet... you can't access the internet or anything on that PC. This is my first build, and I'm clearly missing something.

Any body else have any suggestions?

Ok so your ram "appears" to be 1.48v. Is that what the manufacturer suggests for your ram, or do you just run it at whatever you feel like running it at and expect it to work correctly???

A system with too low of ram voltage can fail to install Windows, fail to load Windows, stop error or BSOD.

nater9

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
The DRAM setting is a "Auto" which puts it running at 1.488 this morning. Suggested voltage on the ram stick is 1.5V. If I try to change it manually, I can choose from 1.492, or 1.507.

nater9

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Thanks, but I'm desperate to get my PC up and running, so I have taken it to a local shop... they "assume" it's a hardware problem, but are trouble shooting today and should know something later... I'll report back with the findings.... Thanks for the tips along the way....

nater9

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Yep, they said one of my sticks of RAM is bad.... are you indicating they are just telling me that because the BIOS isn't set right, or that one stick really doesn't work? They said they tested the hardware etc. and this is what they found... I ran a memory test in my BIOS but of course it said it checked out okay. I was trying to download the memtest to a bootable CD but couldn't figure it out... so I'm down another $39...

What is a good reputable memory brand? Crucial?

nater9

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Funny, I was willing to work through it, but my wife said I was spending too much time trying to get it to work and that I should have just bought one pre-built... anyways, I have sent the memory back for a refund, and will be buying a new set in the meantime... I'm pretty sure the stick was just bad because the guys at the shop ran their own tests on it and it was not working...

I'm sure I'll be back in the near future with another problem (hopefully not), but you never know....

Thanks again!

nater9

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Exactly!! Off to Fry's today for some memory... I do have another question....

My MB mfg says the memory should have a voltage of 1.5. Does this mean only 1.5V will work, or does it mean it must be a minimum of 1.5, but anything higher will be okay?

nater9

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Well, I got new memory, and the install got further along this time, no BSOD, but it still failed.... how could the memory be bad AGAIN? Taking it back to the shop again...

Did you try setting the ram voltage to the 1.507V setting in the BIOS? If the ram is rated for 1.5V, setting it to 1.507 isn't going to hurt it. In fact, under-volting it at 1.488 could have produced the errors to begin with. Not giving ram a high enough voltage can also produce some very interesting results, including errors in RAM testing apps like MemTest86+.

Another place to start looking would be the media you are installing Windows from. If you have a 4GB or larger flash drive you can use, follow the steps in question 18 of this thread, and see if the install fails again.

Semi-related note: I don't trust optical media anymore for anything. It's very error prone if the disk gets scratched, and it's WAY slower than reading from a flash drive.

nater9

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Yes, I tried increasing the voltage on the RAM, no luck... I didn't have a 4MB stick around, so I brought it back to the shop, and yet again one stick of RAM was bad. They said one stick passed their test in all 4 memory slots on the mother board.... they couldn't get the other stick to pass at all. I just can't believe that I got 2 bad packs of memory from Corsair, one from Amazon, and one from Fry's.... I'm going to try a different brand this time... unfortunately, I'll never buy Corsair again.