No Network Connection icon in Networking & Dial-up Connect

I did a fresh install of Windows 2000 Prof on a new hard disk. The computer
had an SMC NIC and I configured the NIC to my TCP/IP settings. Logged on to
the Internet and downloaded Windows 2000 upgrades. After completeing all the
upgrades, re-booted the system, and now the local area icon in the
Networking & Dial-up Connection box has vanished. The only icon in the box is
the Make Connection icon. As I cannot see my network card, I am unable to
make any changes in it's settings. I've been through the process of pulling
out the card, and putting in a new card. The network connection is working
fine, but I'm unable to see the card and consequently unable to make changes.
Incidentally when I put in a new Dlink card the system did not even say
"found new hardware". It just picked it up. Please help.

Hi Rajiv

Go to run and type dcomcnfg.exe (to configure DCOM in you PC)

Click Default Proerties Tab

See the check box for DCOM is enabled

Default Authentication Level = Connect

Default Impersonation Level = Identify