Upgrade help....if at all....

soric2

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Hello everyone I am new to these forums..anyway to my question.

my rig is made up of
Asus A7n8x Athlon XP 2500
BFG Geforce 6800 OC
2 Gigs of ram ddr400
on board sound...

Iam looking to do a small upgrade of MB and CPU if it will make a difference for playing certain games like "WWII ONLINE/battlegroundeurope" which is CPU reliant bigtime.

I would like to only buy a MG and CPU at this time as I will be building a new machine in about 6 months.

would a athlon 64 be a decent upgrade ? noticable difference?
or would it be better to go with a C2D? though they cost more kinda hard to use what I have now if I go to C2D.

any advice would be of great help here.

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
If you're building a new machine in 6 months, why throw money away upgrading the current one? If it was me, I'd probably save my money for the new machine.

What you do, though, could depend on how much you want to spend, and what you want to build on your new machine.

If you want to go intel, you could get a Core2 E6300 (~$190) and the ASRock DUAL-VSTA mobo (~$60). It's not a great board, certainly not a good overclocker, but I've heard it works, and will let you use all your old ATA drives, your current DDR RAM, and your graphics card.

This is pretty much the cheapest way to get into a Core2, and, since it's still a good, recent CPU, you could use it when you build your new machine, and only hace to throw out the ASRock mobo. With a good mobo, good RAM, and decent CPU cooler, you could OC the 6300 to very nice speeds.