maverick9611

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I recently built up a computer with an E6600, EVGA 680i, and Scythe Ninja Rev. B using the included fan all in an Antec P180 case. Ive trimmed the Ninja bracket as suggested to clear the surrounding power regulators and the cable routing is tucked away as nicely as I could get it. The temps Im getting just dont seem to make sense compared to everyone elses out there.

Ambient: 72F or about 21C
Case: 36C
CPU Idle: 42C
CPU Load: 53-59C

Load is after 4 hours of 100% on both cores from Orthos. All computer temps are taken using Everest in Vista. Ive reinstalled the heatsink 4 different times all using AS5 and cleaning with 91% isopropyl between installs. The heatsink clicks down and looks like it is fully seated. So my question is whether or not there is anything wrong with these temps on a stock clocked E6600.

Thanks for the help.

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Use a friendly little program called Core Temp, available here. See if it reports the same temps. Pretty much the agreed upon, reliable program for measuring temps in Conroes.

Even so, those temps aren't awful. If things don't change with Core Temp, go to Arctic Silver's site about applying AS5 to Conroes (it involves spreading it vertically to follow the orientation of the processor itself).

maverick9611

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
CoreTemp doesnt seem to work for me in Vista. Error comes up talking about the driver or something. Everest shows a CPU temp and two core temps that sound pretty accurate compared to CoreTemp from other peoples experiences with it. It also shows the same temp as NVMonitor.

When I applied the AS5 I just put a small dab of it on then spread it around with a plastic bag or coffee filter. Isnt that supposed to work just as good? I may try the line next time. I know the temps aren't awful but they should be better with this heatsink and case from what other people get running similar setups.

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Forgot about that. Yeah, just keep running those benchies (or something productive like FAH at 100%) to keep the processor running. Give it a week or two to normalize, like he said.

maverick9611

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I know it should go through a burn-in. Each time I have reinstalled the heatsink, Ive left it on for about 2 weeks yet the temps are still around 43C idle and mid 50's load. One of the big things that confuses me is the large difference between idle and load and also between idle and case temp. Especially all of this at stock speeds. Ive seen some out there with similar systems and lower temps while overclocked. Im just wondering if something is wrong.

maverick9611

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
All my cabling is pulled off to the side of the case so nothing should be in the way and the Antec P180 is supposed to have pretty good airflow especially with this cooler. There are even people running this case with the Ninja passive. Ill try and put up some pictures if I can remember to find the camera tomorrow.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
All my cabling is pulled off to the side of the case so nothing should be in the way and the Antec P180 is supposed to have pretty good airflow especially with this cooler. There are even people running this case with the Ninja passive. Ill try and put up some pictures if I can remember to find the camera tomorrow.

Pictures could help out a bit.

Checking Newegg, if I'm looking at it correctly, to the left of the front panel there's a bunch of ventilation openings. My only guess would have been there wasn't enough air coming in through the front of the system, but having that takes that mostly out of the equation.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Hehe. You think you have issues? I've reinstalled several times using stock cooling, and my results are the same (also using AS5).

Idle 46C and load up to 63C (Core Temp App) using SnM with FP at 100%. Although I suspect that my AS5 is out dated. The package says oct 2005. The guys at AS5 says that it should be okay, if the package was kept in a cool place in the correct position. Problem is, from the time it left where ever abroad, until it came to me is one big blur. I'd be assuming alot if I thought it was stored properly...

Can someone confirm the core layout on a Core 2 CPU? I've seen pictures, which point to the same layout on P4 dual cores, but I just want to make sure. With the gold triangle in the left bottom corner facing you, you apply the thermal paste vetically dead center (as indicated by AS5 using P4 Dual Core)?

As an off base question: Am I right in assuming that Core Temp measures the cores directly, before heat transfer on the IHS (heat transfer will effect this reading, but we have a higher reading here than on the IHS)? What I'm trying to gauge here is the temp measured by Speedfan, by how much will it differ from the core temp? If core is at 63C, what would the safe assumption be on the temp as seen by speedfan (winbond)?

maverick9611

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Well if you look at the fact that there are people running my same system on SPCR and getting low 30's idle and low 40's load without a fan on the Ninja 8O , then mine is probably a bit more out of the norm. Still, both are not right. Anybody have some insight?

eav

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
E6600. overclocked at 3.5 gigs. idle 48 Celcius and load 55 celcius and this is after playing bf2 max settings for 3 hours. System 38 Celcius. running at about 35 Celcius when at 2.4 gigs.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
My CPU runs 29-31C and 45 Load - but thats my Asus board reporting a low value compared to Core temp which runs 15-17C higher. My XBX sesnor was 3-4C lower than Core Temp.

One thing is for sure, I've reapplied 6 times already (5 on the XBX, and once on the Asus) and evertime I'm getting the same result in core temp. So, what's left is a.) I'm not installing correctly (using Artic Clean / AS5 / Alcohol), or b.) Core temp is reading xC more than a normal healthy winbond sensor and I'm actually worrying too much (where x:= real range 3 to 10)... :lol: :lol:

maverick9611

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I dont know whats going on. 12 hours of orthos and Im sitting at 56C. Take it off and still have 43C idle. Unless Everest and NVMonitor, the only temp sensors I can get to work, are both wrong, I guess I will have to try installing everything again.

sj41

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I have nearly the same build as you, and the same problem.

antec p180 with case fans on low pushing air out
e6600 (1.20v 2400mhz stock voltage/clock from asus probe)
scythe ninja rev b fan mounted on bottom pushing air up @ 860rpm
arctic silver 5
asus p5b deluxe wifi
2gb corsair xms2 pc2 8500 currently running at SPD (not messing with this till i get temps under control)
evga 8800gts
corsair hx520w

like i said, i have the same problem as you, my cpu idles at 41(coretemp) and 45(asus probe/bios) and at load, 62c max. i applied AS5 about 5 times now trying all sorts of different ways, and no results. i also read about the people over at spcr getting sub 40c without the scythe fan (wtF?) and i have no idea what else i can do.

with the case fans running on high, i can bring down my temps to 36c probe and 33ish on core temp, but thats out of the question, since it makes my computer sound like a jet engine.

another annoying thing is, i cant seem to adjust the speed on the CPU fan, and is constantly running at 860rpm (even at high temps ~62c). i dont know what happened, it used to run at around 1250rpm and cpu temps used to be mid 30's.

at this current temp, i cant imagine overclocking. any ideas? the good part is, my computer is so quiet i dont even know that its on at times. the hissing from my speakers are louder.

I have my E6600 OC'ed to 3.0GHz and the Scythe Ninja. My idle temp is 39C and 54C with both cores under load. Since I built this system back in Sept I'm almost sure that AS5 has fully cured.

I'm using the Cooler Master Centurion 532 case with 2 120mm fans. There are 2 DVD drives and 3 hard drives. The GPU is a Radeon X1900XT 512MB at stock speed and there's a Soundblaster Audigy 2. Oh yeah, 2GB of RAM too.

The room temperature varies from 25C (77F) to 27.2C (81F) depending on heat from the radiator.

jayrm14

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
I recently built up a computer with an E6600, EVGA 680i, and Scythe Ninja Rev. B using the included fan all in an Antec P180 case. Ive trimmed the Ninja bracket as suggested to clear the surrounding power regulators and the cable routing is tucked away as nicely as I could get it. The temps Im getting just dont seem to make sense compared to everyone elses out there.

Ambient: 72F or about 21C
Case: 36C
CPU Idle: 42C
CPU Load: 53-59C

Load is after 4 hours of 100% on both cores from Orthos. All computer temps are taken using Everest in Vista. Ive reinstalled the heatsink 4 different times all using AS5 and cleaning with 91% isopropyl between installs. The heatsink clicks down and looks like it is fully seated. So my question is whether or not there is anything wrong with these temps on a stock clocked E6600.

Thanks for the help.
I had those temps with my stock heat sink and fan. I now have a Zalman 9700 and have an idle of 29c and load of 45c (at stock).

maverick9611

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I had those temps with my stock heat sink and fan. I now have a Zalman 9700 and have an idle of 29c and load of 45c (at stock).

So why is everything so bad with my Ninja. The Zalman and Ninja usually get pretty similar temps in comparisons.