Event ID: 8
Date: 5/8/2005
Time: 9:38:24 AM
User: N/A
Computer: ECS0
The description for Event ID ( 8 ) in Source ( W3SVC ) cannot be found. The
local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL
files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information
is part of the event: Timed out waiting for SetConf signal, continuing....

Thanks,
akamal

Might be virus related but ask them here.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.inetserver.iis&cat=en_US_b7dd6fd0-cdf2-4bf2-8cc9-6187661bc232&lang=en&cr=US

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"akamal" wrote:
| Hello,
| The below event is constantly logged every few seconds in the Application
| Event Log. I realize that it is an Information Event and most of the time
it
| shoud be ignored, but I can't help the feeling that i might have a
problem. I
| have already checked the internet with no luck.
|
| Event Type: Information
| Event Source: W3SVC
| Event Category: None
| Event ID: 8
| Date: 5/8/2005
| Time: 9:38:24 AM
| User: N/A
| Computer: ECS0
| The description for Event ID ( 8 ) in Source ( W3SVC ) cannot be found.
The
| local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message
DLL
| files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
information
| is part of the event: Timed out waiting for SetConf signal, continuing....
|
| Thanks,
| akamal

This is a worm trying to infect you through a hole you've closed in web services (get used to it).

You are apparently missing the eventlog key for web service in your registry. You can find another server (of the same version with
www installed) and import its eventlog key from HKLM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Eventlog \ System \ W3SVC (I think) to your
registry. That should fix the eventlog display.

Steve Duff

"akamal" <akamal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5DF9F51D-EAA5-4EAD-AB38-E54C6EF21841@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
> The below event is constantly logged every few seconds in the Application
> Event Log. I realize that it is an Information Event and most of the time it
> shoud be ignored, but I can't help the feeling that i might have a problem. I
> have already checked the internet with no luck.
>
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: W3SVC
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 8
> Date: 5/8/2005
> Time: 9:38:24 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: ECS0
> The description for Event ID ( 8 ) in Source ( W3SVC ) cannot be found. The
> local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL
> files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information
> is part of the event: Timed out waiting for SetConf signal, continuing....
>
> Thanks,
> akamal

Apparently this was caused by a patch that was applied to the ISS Server
Sensor installed on the server. Once the patch has been uninstalled, the
event log entry stopped appearing.

Thank you both for your assitance.