Asus P5B-Deluxe. Mobo or RAM problem?

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I have an Asus P5B-Deluxe Mobo. It doesn't seem to get along with my Corsair XMS2 PC6400 5-5-5-12 DDR. I think it's the RAM but lemme know if you think differently.

I have a 2GB DDR-800 kit and I have problems booting with both sticks installed. The machine will boot fine with one stick but it's hit-or-miss with both. They also refuse to boot at they're rated speeds of 5-5-5-12 @ 1.9v. The best I can do is 5-5-5-18. That's what CPU-Z sees them as and that's what they'll boot at - usually only individually. Like I said, getting the machine to boot with both is a stroke of luck.

So is this a RAM issue or a Mobo issue? Thanks!

Compulsive

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
Krazy

I am afraid this is probably a Mobo issue. Asus seems to be very picky in its supported memory configs.
From their QVL (Qualified Vendors List) they currently support this Corsair Memory at DDR800 - http://usa.asus.com/100/download/products/1295/1295_10.pdf

512MB CORSAIR Heat-Sink Package CM2X512A-6400
1024MB CORSAIR Heat-Sink Package CM2X1024-6400PRO
1024MB CORSAIR Heat-Sink Package CM2X1024-6400C4

From your description, I'm guessing, you have the TWIN2X2048-6400PRO which isn't currently on their list :cry:

Had very similar issues myself bought memory that exactly matched QVL and everything was fine.

Hope this helps

Compulsive Computing

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Actually, I have the PC6400 5-5-5-12 XMS2 2GB kit. According to Corsair's website, they're totally compatible with that motherboard. I ran Memtest 3 overnight on one stick and got 2 errors on two seperate passes on test 6. I'm at work now while the other stick tests.

I'm also getting wackiness with my 7900GT. I took it out of an A8N-SLI board (where it worked perfectly) and now it has trouble with its native resolution of 1900x1200 on a 24" Gateway Monitor (which also worked fine on the other system. Riva Tuner wouldn't load properly with it either. It wouldn't load the OC panels and I had to resort to coolbits. My system wouldn't come back from an Aquamark test and completely rebooted the system and refused to post. So now I have RAM and video card problem. You think it's the Mobo then?

I've read people use this exact same ram on the exact same board with no issues whatsoever. I just need to know if I should RMA one or the other or both. thoughts?

If you're getting errors with memtest, I would definitely RMA the RAM. However, it might be a good idea to pick up some cheapo RAM at a local store and see if you get any errors with it as well.

Are you going to exchange for the same RAM or try your luck with a different model and/or brand?

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Well, I've heard good things with Asus and Corsair - supposedly the peas and carrots of Mobo/RAM combos - so I'm gonna RMA for the same sticks first. I might just RMA both the Mobo and RAM just to be safe. Wierd thing is, everything seemed fine on friday (though I still had some issues with the vid card) but now it's nothing but problems.

Here are my specs:

Asus P5B-Deluxe
Corsair XMS2 PC6400 2GB 5-5-5-12
C2D e6400
7900GT 256MB
SoundBlaster X-Fi
Antec Neopower 480 PSU
NEC DVD-RW drive

My problems:

•System won't boot reliably with both sticks of RAM
•System has random crashes
•Graphics card has trouble with native resolution of 1900x1200. Card works fine until drivers are installed for it. THEN problems occur. Same drivers (93.71) I had on my old system with same monitor and it worked fine. Riva Tuner won't display all it's settings either.
•RAM won't run at 5-5-5-12 at 1.9v reliably even with one stick.
•Got a couple errors in Memtest 3 with one of the ram sticks
•Sometimes system won't post or get past post screen regardless of RAM combination

Just curious, but say my video card is the problem. Would it be causing all the other problems? Could it be my PSU? it only has the 4-pin plug with the 24-pin. I see the mobo can take a bigger plug than the 4-pin.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I think I've stumbled onto a thread that states that the Corsair PC6400 C5 has BIG problems with this board without VERY specific timings. I'll try the timings and see if they work. IF not, I'll go with the C4 RAM.

UPDATE: Turned out to definitely be a bad stick 'o ram. put some different ram in and no problems since. On to RMA!

robl756

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
You never said before exactly WAHT model your memory is... You've said XM2S 6400, that, is not a Part Number.... They have
CM2X1024=6400C4
CM2X1024-6400Pro

and so forth, as the gentleman above a couple of Posts said, the above 2 ARE on the QVL for your board, I have the same board, and I have 2 Gigs of the first memory listed, the C4 memory. And, it works fine. But, as the same above gentleman also said, If your memory is NOT on the QVL, that is more than likely your issue. The board is picky. Hence, the need for the QVL. The memory on the QVL HAS been tested extensively with your board, and worked fine. If, your memory is some C5 memory, which I have never even heard of, though that does not mean much, then, theres your problem more than likely.
And, with that, I will withdrawl my nose from the fine help you are already getting.

Dr. Rob

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I'm with robl756. I have the same configuration of M/B and RAM, with zero problems or issues since first build. You might want to check your BIOS revision. I know there were some timing issues in the older BIOS versions.

robl756

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
You tell everything about the RAM except the actual part number. Is it TwinX2048-6400 or
TwinX2048-6400C4 or
any one of a lot of other part numbers?

Rob

After I saw my reply, and where it ended up, it turned out in the wrong place..... OK, I possibly made a booboo. I'm getting old, gimme a break! Anyway, It is a response to a person who posted a note saying they had some corsair RAM DDR2 6400 CL5 and, apparently it is causing issues. They did not give the part number of the ram, jsut the speed and Brand. Not enough info to provide an intelligent hypothesis. But, If said person reads the above posts, they will more than likely, find the answer to their issue.