File update

Hai,

In our organisation, we have nearly 300 systems of windows 2000
professional,administrator's Password is same for all system.I want to copy a
updated hosts file to be copied in all systems.With out doing Group Policy,
is it possible to accomplish this job?

Please advice me,

Thanks in advance....
5 answers Last reply
More about file update

    Me personally would write a small application to copy that file to all
    workstations with a click of a button.

    If you're able to do this method then I would recommend it

    Crouchie1998
    BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

    "Ram" <Ram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hai,
    >
    > In our organisation, we have nearly 300 systems of windows 2000
    > professional,administrator's Password is same for all system.I want to
    copy a
    > updated hosts file to be copied in all systems.With out doing Group
    Policy,
    > is it possible to accomplish this job?
    >
    > Please advice me,
    >
    > Thanks in advance....

    You could place the appropriate "copy" instruction
    into your domain logon script.

    hai,

    I have tried that but its getting updated in some of the system.What could
    be the problem.
    Actually i have shared the folder, under that i kept the file which has to
    be copied and put the script in the windows startup.Instead of doing(Group
    Policy), this is there alternative...

    Pls help me

    Ram

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "Ram" <Ram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hai,
    > >
    > > In our organisation, we have nearly 300 systems of windows 2000
    > > professional,administrator's Password is same for all system.I want to
    > copy a
    > > updated hosts file to be copied in all systems.With out doing Group
    > Policy,
    > > is it possible to accomplish this job?
    > >
    > > Please advice me,
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance....
    > >

    > You could place the appropriate "copy" instruction
    > into your domain logon script.

    You may have workstations that aren't running the login script for any of a number of reasons, or the hosts file may have been set
    read-only by an 'antispyware' program. Or the user may not be a local administrator in which case they won't have write access to
    the /etc subfolder where the hosts file is kept. You'd need to use a machine group policy or a shim program to elevate rights to get
    around this.

    You might want to go back and look at the decision or legacy situation that has you using hosts files in the first place. I have
    replaced global hosts files with DNS -- sometimes with just a couple of hours work -- and the end result is much more satisfactory.

    Steve Duff [MVP]
    Ergodic Systems, Inc.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message news:%23PBYqa9UFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

    > "Ram" <Ram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hai,
    >>
    >> In our organisation, we have nearly 300 systems of windows 2000
    >> professional,administrator's Password is same for all system.I want to
    > copy a
    >> updated hosts file to be copied in all systems.With out doing Group
    > Policy,
    >> is it possible to accomplish this job?
    >>
    >> Please advice me,
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance....
    >>

    > You could place the appropriate "copy" instruction
    > into your domain logon script.

    Hi,

    Can i have that small program.....

    Thanks,
    Ram

    "Crouchie1998" wrote:

    > Me personally would write a small application to copy that file to all
    > workstations with a click of a button.
    >
    > If you're able to do this method then I would recommend it
    >
    > Crouchie1998
    > BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

Windows 2000 Systems Microsoft Windows