How do I turn off the Windows Messenger for good.

January 19, 2005 11:59:00 PM

Windows Messenger had not been a problem I would simply "exit" after a
reboot and never saw it until the next reboot. Now, ever since I had a
wireless network set up Messenger pops up all the time. I don't like that.
Please help.

Thank You
David
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 11:59:01 PM

You can uninstall Windows Messenger in the Control Panel/Add-Remove
Programs/Add-Remove Windows Components.

"David Lawson" <davidlawson@cox.net> wrote in message
> Windows Messenger had not been a problem I would simply "exit" after a
> reboot and never saw it until the next reboot. Now, ever since I had a
> wireless network set up Messenger pops up all the time. I don't like that.
> Please help.
>
> Thank You
> David

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:36:58 AM

David Lawson wrote:
> Windows Messenger had not been a problem I would simply "exit" after a
> reboot and never saw it until the next reboot. Now, ever since I had a
> wireless network set up Messenger pops up all the time. I don't like that.
> Please help.

Colin has told you how to uninstall Messenger. If you're getting a lot
of pop ups from out on the net however that's also a sign that you've
got poor security. You need to run a firewall with a network that other
people have access to.

Good luck....

Bill
January 20, 2005 11:57:11 AM

Colin's solution will only remove the Windows Messenger icon from the
desktop.

To completely remove Windows Messenger,
1) Exit from Windows Messenger
2) Paste the command below into the "Start|Run..." box

>RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

(Don't include the caret when you copy the command above)

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
and keep the conversation in order.
January 20, 2005 9:05:52 PM

If you want to to dsable, but not uninstall it, you can toggle it on ot off
with Run/msmsgs

--

johnf

!