login screen repeat

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

After using spyware programs the other day and the new microsoft beta program
to adjust my startup programs, I am now unable to login to windows. When I
type in the correct password, it begins to apply the settings but then kicks
back to the password screen. I know the password is correct because it
accepts it when I use the intall/repair disc. I don't enough about DOS to try
and startup windows once in at that point (although that wouldn't fix the
problem in and of itself).

I did delete a file that the program told me was a bad file,
c:winnt\system32\auserinit.exe. I don't know if that has anything to do with
my problem though.

Any help is greatly appreciated. The computer is for my business so I can't
risk losing data which hasn't been backed up in about a month.

Thanks in advance.

"Rick" <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After using spyware programs the other day and the new microsoft beta
program
> to adjust my startup programs, I am now unable to login to windows. When I
> type in the correct password, it begins to apply the settings but then
kicks
> back to the password screen. I know the password is correct because it
> accepts it when I use the intall/repair disc. I don't enough about DOS to
try
> and startup windows once in at that point (although that wouldn't fix the
> problem in and of itself).
>
> I did delete a file that the program told me was a bad file,
> c:winnt\system32\auserinit.exe. I don't know if that has anything to do
with
> my problem though.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated. The computer is for my business so I
can't
> risk losing data which hasn't been backed up in about a month.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Have a look here:
http://www.smile-computers.nl/helpdesk/unablelogonadaware.htm

About your backup: You must assume that all PC data can be lost
from one day to the next due to disk failure, data corruption, theft,
fire. Your backup strategy must take this into account. It's a business
decision how much data you can afford to lose before your survival
is threatened.