DRIVES NOT RECOGNIZED

When turning the computer on in the morning, all of a sudden, Windows did not
recognize the drives (three: two CD-ROMS and one floppy). Reinstallation of
drivers, including of PCI, replacement of a PCI card, failed --even after
reinstalling a couple of programs.
Exception: one or the three drives are recognized if I insert a disc prior
to starting the computer; if I change the disc, or remove/insert the same,
then Windows refuses to recognize it again.
Device Manager says, "this device is working satisfactorily"...but it is
NOT. Windows warns, "insert a disc in drive...X".
Anyone know the cause, the therapy?
Thanks!
SANVI

SANVI wrote:

>When turning the computer on in the morning, all of a sudden, Windows did not
>recognize the drives (three: two CD-ROMS and one floppy). Reinstallation of
>drivers, including of PCI, replacement of a PCI card, failed --even after
>reinstalling a couple of programs.
>Exception: one or the three drives are recognized if I insert a disc prior
>to starting the computer; if I change the disc, or remove/insert the same,
>then Windows refuses to recognize it again.
>Device Manager says, "this device is working satisfactorily"...but it is
>NOT. Windows warns, "insert a disc in drive...X".
>Anyone know the cause, the therapy?
>Thanks!
>SANVI

I'm having the same problem with a raid set. It's not about drivers,
I'm running the latest drivers. Sometimes on a cold boot it sees the
drive, sometimes not. Disabling and re-enabling sometimes fixes the
problem sometimes not. Sometiems a reboot then loses the drive,
sometimes it is still there. The DVD drive otoh is always there.

--
A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

I agree! And that is disturbing! If high-technology computers and programs
are so fikle (i.e., unpredictbility without cause or purpose), why do we
learn to trust them? Why do we expend so much time, talent and $ to fix the
unfixable? May be the challenge is what makes us love computers!
All in all, I still need to repair whatever in order for my system to
recognize the drives; it says they are there, and working
satisfactorily...although it cannot "see" or find them. That should be called
"intuitive technology".
--
SANVI

SANVI wrote:

>I agree! And that is disturbing! If high-technology computers and programs
>are so fikle (i.e., unpredictbility without cause or purpose), why do we
>learn to trust them? Why do we expend so much time, talent and $ to fix the
>unfixable? May be the challenge is what makes us love computers!
>All in all, I still need to repair whatever in order for my system to
>recognize the drives; it says they are there, and working
>satisfactorily...although it cannot "see" or find them. That should be called
>"intuitive technology".

I just completed a check for more recent mobo drivers, finding only one
for the sound device. I have the most recent drivers for the raid
card. This looks like a flaw in w2000, which is hardly surprising, but
after 5 years?

--
A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

Thanks, Quaestor, for your comments. If you still find a solution, please
share it with me.
--
SANVI

"Quaestor" wrote:

> SANVI wrote:
>
> >I agree! And that is disturbing! If high-technology computers and programs
> >are so fikle (i.e., unpredictbility without cause or purpose), why do we
> >learn to trust them? Why do we expend so much time, talent and $ to fix the
> >unfixable? May be the challenge is what makes us love computers!
> >All in all, I still need to repair whatever in order for my system to
> >recognize the drives; it says they are there, and working
> >satisfactorily...although it cannot "see" or find them. That should be called
> >"intuitive technology".
> >

> I just completed a check for more recent mobo drivers, finding only one
> for the sound device. I have the most recent drivers for the raid
> card. This looks like a flaw in w2000, which is hardly surprising, but
> after 5 years?
>

> --
> A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

Hi Sanvi - Try the Method 1 fix given here, even if it doesn't seem to apply
to your specific case. Removing these Registry entries is the "normal" fix
for this type of non-enumeration problem for CD's.

;270008]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];270008

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

"SANVI" <SANVI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, Quaestor, for your comments. If you still find a solution,
> please share it with me.
>
>> SANVI wrote:
>>
>>> I agree! And that is disturbing! If high-technology computers and
>>> programs are so fikle (i.e., unpredictbility without cause or
>>> purpose), why do we learn to trust them? Why do we expend so much
>>> time, talent and $ to fix the unfixable? May be the challenge is
>>> what makes us love computers!
>>> All in all, I still need to repair whatever in order for my system
>>> to recognize the drives; it says they are there, and working
>>> satisfactorily...although it cannot "see" or find them. That should
>>> be called "intuitive technology".
>>>

>> I just completed a check for more recent mobo drivers, finding only
>> one
>> for the sound device. I have the most recent drivers for the raid
>> card. This looks like a flaw in w2000, which is hardly surprising,
>> but
>> after 5 years?
>>

>> --
>> A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is
>> indistinguishable from paranoia.

Thanks, Jim. I assume I do not have it; I already tried. The closest I have
in the Registry is "...\Class\{D36E96A-..." instead of "...{4D36E965-...".
I will keep on trying, anyway.
--
SANVI

Jim Byrd wrote:

>Hi Sanvi - Try the Method 1 fix given here, even if it doesn't seem to apply
>to your specific case. Removing these Registry entries is the "normal" fix
>for this type of non-enumeration problem for CD's.
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];270008

that has nothing for me, I never had such a device.

In my case the event log shows

> The device, \Device\Scsi\Pnp649r1, did not respond within the timeout
period.

When it fails to see the scsi at bootup.

--
A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

Thanks, Jim. Still looking for a solution!
--
SANVI

"Quaestor" wrote:

> Jim Byrd wrote:
>
> >Hi Sanvi - Try the Method 1 fix given here, even if it doesn't seem to apply
> >to your specific case. Removing these Registry entries is the "normal" fix
> >for this type of non-enumeration problem for CD's.
> >
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];270008
> >

> that has nothing for me, I never had such a device.
>
> In my case the event log shows
>
> > The device, \Device\Scsi\Pnp649r1, did not respond within the timeout
> period.
>
> When it fails to see the scsi at bootup.
>
> --
> A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

GeoffW

do you have any adaptec / roxio burning software installed ?
if yes go to their site and look for the fix.

or

do a repair install of the OS

It would appear to me that the error has occured because of
some change, install etc

good luck

Geoff

> Thanks, Jim. Still looking for a solution!
> --
> SANVI
>

> "Quaestor" wrote:
>
> > Jim Byrd wrote:
> >
> > >Hi Sanvi - Try the Method 1 fix given here, even if it
doesn't seem to apply
> > >to your specific case. Removing these Registry entries
is the "normal" fix
> > >for this type of non-enumeration problem for CD's.
> > >

>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];2700
08

> > that has nothing for me, I never had such a device.
> >
> > In my case the event log shows
> >
> > > The device, \Device\Scsi\Pnp649r1, did not respond
within the timeout
> > period.
> >
> > When it fails to see the scsi at bootup.
> >
> > --
> > A sufficiently advanced computer network protective
attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

Thanks, Geoffw. Yes, I do have Roxio CD burning program and also the Adaptec
card. I replaced the latter; I reinstalled Roxio; I retrieved the latest
drivers for both. All failed. I have tried, though, your suggestion: the OS
repair. I have been warned no to use an "OS repair" and advised that Windows
2000 Professional does NOT include one in its installing CD. Do you have
another idea? If so, will you be specific on the process to follow? Thanks,

SANVI

"Geoffw" wrote:

> do you have any adaptec / roxio burning software installed ?
> if yes go to their site and look for the fix.
>
> or
>
> do a repair install of the OS
>
> It would appear to me that the error has occured because of
> some change, install etc
>
> good luck
>
> Geoff
>
> "SANVI" <SANVI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, Jim. Still looking for a solution!
> > --
> > SANVI

> doesn't seem to apply
> is the "normal" fix
> > > >

> >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];2700
> 08
> > > >

> > > that has nothing for me, I never had such a device.
> > >
> > > In my case the event log shows

> within the timeout
> > > period.
> > >
> > > When it fails to see the scsi at bootup.
> > >
> > > --
> > > A sufficiently advanced computer network protective
> attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

Hi SANVI - The install information you were given is incorrect. It is
perfectly possible to do a Repair Install with Win2kPro (trust me on this -
BTDT many times :) ). Follow the directions here:
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/windows2000/Repair/multipageindex.htm

--

> Thanks, Geoffw. Yes, I do have Roxio CD burning program and also the
> Adaptec card. I replaced the latter; I reinstalled Roxio; I retrieved
> the latest drivers for both. All failed. I have tried, though, your
> suggestion: the OS repair. I have been warned no to use an "OS
> repair" and advised that Windows 2000 Professional does NOT include
> one in its installing CD. Do you have another idea? If so, will you
> be specific on the process to follow? Thanks,
>
> SANVI
>

> "Geoffw" wrote:
>
>> do you have any adaptec / roxio burning software installed ?
>> if yes go to their site and look for the fix.
>>
>> or
>>
>> do a repair install of the OS
>>
>> It would appear to me that the error has occured because of
>> some change, install etc
>>
>> good luck
>>
>> Geoff
>>
>> "SANVI" <SANVI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks, Jim. Still looking for a solution!
>>> --
>>> SANVI

>> doesn't seem to apply
>> is the "normal" fix
>>>>>

>>> ;2700]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];2700
>> 08

>> within the timeout

>> attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

Thanks, Jim.
You may be able to give me a hint on an unexpected sequence. I followed your
advice to attempt to repair; all started well, Windows went to the uploading
rutine, but when it displays the screen asking to select (in this case, "R"
for repair) as soon as you type R, another quick screen warns that Windows
"cannot find ANY hard drive". No only it is there, actually two hard drives
are there. I tried three times, failed. Now, I am looking for a way to
resolve the unexpected problem. (By the way, meanwhile, the computer had to
restart seveal times and showed the same unawareness of the three drives)
--
SANVI

"Jim Byrd" wrote:

> Hi SANVI - The install information you were given is incorrect. It is
> perfectly possible to do a Repair Install with Win2kPro (trust me on this -
> BTDT many times :) ). Follow the directions here:
> http://www.windowsreinstall.com/windows2000/Repair/multipageindex.htm
>
> --
> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
>
> "SANVI" <SANVI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, Geoffw. Yes, I do have Roxio CD burning program and also the
> > Adaptec card. I replaced the latter; I reinstalled Roxio; I retrieved
> > the latest drivers for both. All failed. I have tried, though, your
> > suggestion: the OS repair. I have been warned no to use an "OS
> > repair" and advised that Windows 2000 Professional does NOT include
> > one in its installing CD. Do you have another idea? If so, will you
> > be specific on the process to follow? Thanks,
> >
> > SANVI
> >

> > "Geoffw" wrote:
> >
> >> do you have any adaptec / roxio burning software installed ?
> >> if yes go to their site and look for the fix.
> >>
> >> or
> >>
> >> do a repair install of the OS
> >>
> >> It would appear to me that the error has occured because of
> >> some change, install etc
> >>
> >> good luck
> >>
> >> Geoff
> >>
> >> "SANVI" <SANVI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> doesn't seem to apply
> >> is the "normal" fix

> >> 08

> >> within the timeout

> >> attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

GeoffW

did you get the roxio "fix" not just re install (dependant
on version). Do you have more then one burning software
package installed - can cause conflicts.

Ghost your image and re install win2K over the top of
existing system, everything should remain intact - if it
doesn't you have the ghost image (make sure the image is
valid before doing any of this of course)

I thought win2k had a repair facility and that I had used it
previously, boot from win2K CD and follow the options,
select the install you wish to repair, allow win2k to
undertake all repairs (this has worked for me) you do not
need to enter the console at all.

Geoff

"SANVI" <SANVI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, Geoffw. Yes, I do have Roxio CD burning program
and also the Adaptec
> card. I replaced the latter; I reinstalled Roxio; I
retrieved the latest
> drivers for both. All failed. I have tried, though, your
suggestion: the OS
> repair. I have been warned no to use an "OS repair" and
advised that Windows
> 2000 Professional does NOT include one in its installing
CD. Do you have
> another idea? If so, will you be specific on the process
to follow? Thanks,

> SANVI
>

> "Geoffw" wrote:
>
> > do you have any adaptec / roxio burning software
installed ?
> > if yes go to their site and look for the fix.
> >
> > or
> >
> > do a repair install of the OS
> >
> > It would appear to me that the error has occured because
of
> > some change, install etc
> >
> > good luck
> >
> > Geoff
> >
> > "SANVI" <SANVI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message

> > > Thanks, Jim. Still looking for a solution!
> > > --
> > > SANVI

> > doesn't seem to apply
entries
> > is the "normal" fix
> > > > >

>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];2700
> > 08

respond
> > within the timeout

> > attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

GeoffW

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/software_updatesv5_2.jhtml

or the MS KB with some specific detail (I assume you may
have tried here first)

Geoff

"Geoffw" <geoffwinSPMA@gmail.SPMA.com> wrote in message
> did you get the roxio "fix" not just re install (dependant
> on version). Do you have more then one burning software
> package installed - can cause conflicts.
>
> Ghost your image and re install win2K over the top of
> existing system, everything should remain intact - if it
> doesn't you have the ghost image (make sure the image is
> valid before doing any of this of course)
>
> I thought win2k had a repair facility and that I had used
it
> previously, boot from win2K CD and follow the options,
> select the install you wish to repair, allow win2k to
> undertake all repairs (this has worked for me) you do not
> need to enter the console at all.
>
> Geoff
>
> "SANVI" <SANVI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, Geoffw. Yes, I do have Roxio CD burning program
> and also the Adaptec
> > card. I replaced the latter; I reinstalled Roxio; I
> retrieved the latest
> > drivers for both. All failed. I have tried, though, your
> suggestion: the OS
> > repair. I have been warned no to use an "OS repair" and
> advised that Windows
> > 2000 Professional does NOT include one in its installing
> CD. Do you have
> > another idea? If so, will you be specific on the process
> to follow? Thanks,
> >
> > SANVI
> >

> > "Geoffw" wrote:
> >
> > > do you have any adaptec / roxio burning software
> installed ?
> > > if yes go to their site and look for the fix.
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > do a repair install of the OS
> > >
> > > It would appear to me that the error has occured
because
> of
> > > some change, install etc
> > >
> > > good luck
> > >
> > > Geoff
> > >
> > > "SANVI" <SANVI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message

if
> it
> > > doesn't seem to apply
> entries
> > > is the "normal" fix
CD's.

>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];2700
> > > 08

device.

> respond
> > > within the timeout

protective
> > > attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

HI!
I owe Jim Byrd, Quaestor and Geoffw an update:

1. I ran (call it re-installed), as advised, Windows just to repair. When
the screen showed the choices, upon my pressing "R" for repair, Windows
warned that it could not find a [any] hard drive. My system has two.

2. After trying three times, I decided to enter the Windows installation
disc at the CD-Rom drive; it "promised" to "upgrade", not to install new,
without changing anything, which is more or less what Repair was supposed to
do. It worked by itself on Safe Mode for a long while, restarted various
times. The system, finally, worked.

3. I let it rest for a while, came back to test. Result:
(A) Windows works OK but it does NOT recognize the three drives (two
CD-Roms, one floppy), as before.
(B) Windows recognizes the three drives IF I insert a disc in the drives
prior to starting, as before.
(C) NEW: Windows, in the (B) case, recognizes the drives if I change the
discs, something it refused to do before running the "repair" sequence I
described.

If this sounds crazy, it is. However, I have advanced: if I start with discs
in the drives, I can change the discs when needed, something I could not do
before. I have no idea why it does that or how to repair whatever causes it.

--
SANVI

SANVI wrote:

>If this sounds crazy, it is. However, I have advanced: if I start with discs
>in the drives, I can change the discs when needed, something I could not do
>before. I have no idea why it does that or how to repair whatever causes it.

I have a similar result with getting w2k to recognize my scsi raid
second drive. Sometimes it just does. Sometimes when it doesn't, if I
open and read something off the CD and Then disable and enable the scsi
controller it sees the drive on the first try, whereas if I don't do the
CD thing it often takes many more attempts.

win2k is seriously broken in this regard, and apparenly always has been
about raid, scsi, and SATA as well. And since ms is pushing that
ratware, xp, so hard, I don't suppose there will ever be a fix?

--
A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.