SATA with gigabyte 965p-ds3

SO there are 3 sata connection on the mother board one that is controlled by the MOBO and 2 that are controleld by the processor. I am using one SATA drive ehich one should I use?
6 answers Last reply
More about sata gigabyte 965p
  1. Quote:
    SO there are 3 sata connection on the mother board one that is controlled by the MOBO and 2 that are controlled by the processor.

What are you talking about? I can't parse what you are saying. What motherboard are you referring to?
  2. You are talking about the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, right?

It has 6 SATA ports on the board (3 sets of 2). 4 are controlled by the ICH8 southbridge (orange), and the other 2 (purple, and referred to in the manual as the "GSATA" ports) are controlled by an extra controller on the board.

You can use whichever port you want, it really shouldn't matter. I used one of the ICH8-controlled ports.
  3. The purple SATA ports support RAID and NCQ via the Jmicron(Gigabyte RAID) chip on the mobo. I don't think the oranges support either just SATA 3.0 via the SB. For 1 drive it shouldn't matter, just use a purple port. I have RAID 0 set up on the purples and an extra storage HDD on the an orange and it works great (knocks wood)
  4. thanks,
  5. I have the gigabyte 965p s3 which is almost the same and when the hard disks were in the ICh8 ports (orange) the computer was lagging and rebooting, change the hard drives to the Gigabyte sata 2 ports (Purple) and works perfectly fine no lag, no rebooting.
  6. I have the DS3 board and 3 hard drives. I have my raid 0 setup using the purple (JMICRON RAID) and the other hard drive is plugged into the regular SATA part and they work fine without any problem.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte SATA Connection Motherboards