Printer Driver

I would like to install an updated printer driver, but before doing so, I
would like to make sure I can reinstall my present driver in case the new one
doesn't work properly. What do I need to know/ save in order to get back to
where I am now if necessary? I have always installed drivers with Wizards, so
I don't know anything about what goes where....

I am Windows 2KPro, NOT XP! My printer is HP DeskJet 930c.
--
Thanks for the help!
J.

    The CD that cam with the printer should have the drivers.

    Janetb wrote:

    > I would like to install an updated printer driver, but before doing so, I
    > would like to make sure I can reinstall my present driver in case the new one
    > doesn't work properly. What do I need to know/ save in order to get back to
    > where I am now if necessary? I have always installed drivers with Wizards, so
    > I don't know anything about what goes where....
    >
    > I am Windows 2KPro, NOT XP! My printer is HP DeskJet 930c.

    Driver that came with the printer never worked because it wasn't meant for
    2KPro. HP had me trying about 10 different drivers til we got one that
    worked---that's why I have so many drivers in my HP Driver folder---and don't
    know which one is in use. That's why I'm so wary about losing it....The new
    one should be OK because it is specially for 2KPro, but I remember that there
    were differences between the US vs. Eur printers and also I ooccasionally
    need Hebrew. Better be safe than sorry....:-)....
    --
    Thanks for the help!
    Janet in Jerusalem

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > The CD that cam with the printer should have the drivers.
    >
    > Janetb wrote:
    >
    > > I would like to install an updated printer driver, but before doing so, I
    > > would like to make sure I can reinstall my present driver in case the new one
    > > doesn't work properly. What do I need to know/ save in order to get back to
    > > where I am now if necessary? I have always installed drivers with Wizards, so
    > > I don't know anything about what goes where....
    > >
    > > I am Windows 2KPro, NOT XP! My printer is HP DeskJet 930c.

    Em, print a test page, it lists the version. You will need to locate a
    set that matches the version number.

    Janetb wrote:
    > Driver that came with the printer never worked because it wasn't meant for
    > 2KPro. HP had me trying about 10 different drivers til we got one that
    > worked---that's why I have so many drivers in my HP Driver folder---and don't
    > know which one is in use. That's why I'm so wary about losing it....The new
    > one should be OK because it is specially for 2KPro, but I remember that there
    > were differences between the US vs. Eur printers and also I ooccasionally
    > need Hebrew. Better be safe than sorry....:-)....

    My printer test page lists no version of anything...In any case all the
    drivers in question are the same version: dj930, so that's no help. I need
    the names of the specific driver files and where they are located
    ---basically instructions how to re-install manually.
    --
    Janet

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > Em, print a test page, it lists the version. You will need to locate a
    > set that matches the version number.
    >
    > Janetb wrote:
    > > Driver that came with the printer never worked because it wasn't meant for
    > > 2KPro. HP had me trying about 10 different drivers til we got one that
    > > worked---that's why I have so many drivers in my HP Driver folder---and don't
    > > know which one is in use. That's why I'm so wary about losing it....The new
    > > one should be OK because it is specially for 2KPro, but I remember that there
    > > were differences between the US vs. Eur printers and also I ooccasionally
    > > need Hebrew. Better be safe than sorry....:-)....

    I now see---I was doing the Print Test like you do after changing a
    cartridge....Then I discovered amongst my papers a VERY old printout of a
    "Windows 2000 Printer Test Page", which is of course what you meant---it
    lists everything like you said...How do I get that?????
    --
    Thanks for the help!
    Janet

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > Em, print a test page, it lists the version. You will need to locate a
    > set that matches the version number.
    >
    > Janetb wrote:
    > > Driver that came with the printer never worked because it wasn't meant for
    > > 2KPro. HP had me trying about 10 different drivers til we got one that
    > > worked---that's why I have so many drivers in my HP Driver folder---and don't
    > > know which one is in use. That's why I'm so wary about losing it....The new
    > > one should be OK because it is specially for 2KPro, but I remember that there
    > > were differences between the US vs. Eur printers and also I ooccasionally
    > > need Hebrew. Better be safe than sorry....:-)....

    PS Actually I have 5 such Test Pages---all different! So I should do a new
    one to see what I have now---how do I do that (it was over 4 years ago....)?
    --
    Thanks for the help!
    Janet

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > Em, print a test page, it lists the version. You will need to locate a
    > set that matches the version number.
    >
    > Janetb wrote:
    > > Driver that came with the printer never worked because it wasn't meant for
    > > 2KPro. HP had me trying about 10 different drivers til we got one that
    > > worked---that's why I have so many drivers in my HP Driver folder---and don't
    > > know which one is in use. That's why I'm so wary about losing it....The new
    > > one should be OK because it is specially for 2KPro, but I remember that there
    > > were differences between the US vs. Eur printers and also I ooccasionally
    > > need Hebrew. Better be safe than sorry....:-)....

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    > "Bob I" wrote:
    >> Em, print a test page, it lists the version. You will need to locate a
    >> set that matches the version number.

    >> Janetb wrote:
    >I now see---I was doing the Print Test like you do after changing a
    > cartridge....Then I discovered amongst my papers a VERY old printout of a
    > "Windows 2000 Printer Test Page", which is of course what you meant---it
    > lists everything like you said...How do I get that?????

    Start->Settings->Printers
    Right-click on your printer and choose Properties.
    Under the General tab, click the "Print Test Page" button.

    The latest DeskJet 930 drivers for W2000 are version 4.3, dated 12-2001 and
    are available through
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=60096&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=7&submit.x=7&lang=en&cc=us

    (watch for line-wrap)

    Andrew
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Hi Andrew!

    Thank you so much! I got everything I wanted on the Printer Test Page
    now---completely diffeent from the older ones. I already had done the HP
    driver test to see if I need an update and had downloaded the one they said I
    needed.

    Should I need to go back to my present driver after trying the new one, is
    there an easy way to do that or do I have to learn where all those files
    related to the driver go and put them there myself later. I'm hoping of
    course that this won't be necessary, but with my bad experiences in the past,
    i want to be safe, as I really need the printer for work....
    --
    Thanks for the help!
    Janet

    "Andrew Morton" wrote:

    > > "Bob I" wrote:
    > >> Em, print a test page, it lists the version. You will need to locate a
    > >> set that matches the version number.
    >
    > >> Janetb wrote:
    > >I now see---I was doing the Print Test like you do after changing a
    > > cartridge....Then I discovered amongst my papers a VERY old printout of a
    > > "Windows 2000 Printer Test Page", which is of course what you meant---it
    > > lists everything like you said...How do I get that?????
    >
    > Start->Settings->Printers
    > Right-click on your printer and choose Properties.
    > Under the General tab, click the "Print Test Page" button.
    >
    > The latest DeskJet 930 drivers for W2000 are version 4.3, dated 12-2001 and
    > are available through
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=60096&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=7&submit.x=7&lang=en&cc=us
    >
    > (watch for line-wrap)
    >
    > Andrew

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Now that you know the Version of printer driver that you have, locate
    and download a copy of that version and save it to a sub-directory so
    you can use it for a reinstall. Then try out the new drivers. If you
    don't like the results, un-install the printer and re-install with the
    saved download.

    PS. You should stop trying to make more work out of this than is necessary.

    Janetb wrote:
    > Hi Andrew!
    >
    > Thank you so much! I got everything I wanted on the Printer Test Page
    > now---completely diffeent from the older ones. I already had done the HP
    > driver test to see if I need an update and had downloaded the one they said I
    > needed.
    >
    > Should I need to go back to my present driver after trying the new one, is
    > there an easy way to do that or do I have to learn where all those files
    > related to the driver go and put them there myself later. I'm hoping of
    > course that this won't be necessary, but with my bad experiences in the past,
    > i want to be safe, as I really need the printer for work....
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Hi Bob,

    The old driver is not available for download on the HP website...I'll just
    assume I won't need it and that I will be able to get it from them if need
    be....It's just that Hp had such difficulties getting the printer to work
    when it was new---I simply can't afford to risk going thru that all over
    again---especially now that I no longer have access to their free
    support....I was on the phone with them constantly for several weeks back
    then, and, as I mentioned earlier, ended up with a driver which is not
    usually used in a 930 printer! It's an unusual situation and consequently
    requires precautions not usually necessary....

    Thanks for your help...

    Janet
    --

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > Now that you know the Version of printer driver that you have, locate
    > and download a copy of that version and save it to a sub-directory so
    > you can use it for a reinstall. Then try out the new drivers. If you
    > don't like the results, un-install the printer and re-install with the
    > saved download.
    >
    > PS. You should stop trying to make more work out of this than is necessary.
    >
    > Janetb wrote:
    > > Hi Andrew!
    > >
    > > Thank you so much! I got everything I wanted on the Printer Test Page
    > > now---completely diffeent from the older ones. I already had done the HP
    > > driver test to see if I need an update and had downloaded the one they said I
    > > needed.
    > >
    > > Should I need to go back to my present driver after trying the new one, is
    > > there an easy way to do that or do I have to learn where all those files
    > > related to the driver go and put them there myself later. I'm hoping of
    > > course that this won't be necessary, but with my bad experiences in the past,
    > > i want to be safe, as I really need the printer for work....

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Here is a link to a 2.3.2 version for NT/2000.

    http://www.driverscollection.com/?H=DeskJet%20930C&St=4&By=Hewlett-Packard

    Janetb wrote:

    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > The old driver is not available for download on the HP website...I'll just
    > assume I won't need it and that I will be able to get it from them if need
    > be....It's just that Hp had such difficulties getting the printer to work
    > when it was new---I simply can't afford to risk going thru that all over
    > again---especially now that I no longer have access to their free
    > support....I was on the phone with them constantly for several weeks back
    > then, and, as I mentioned earlier, ended up with a driver which is not
    > usually used in a 930 printer! It's an unusual situation and consequently
    > requires precautions not usually necessary....
    >
    > Thanks for your help...
    >
    > Janet
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Actually, I had already downloaded the driver which the HP Driver Checker
    said I needed: Ver. 4.3 for Windows 2000. The version I had been using was
    4.29. So your link appears to be a very old driver. I created a new printer
    with a new name for the new driver (thereby maintaining the old one intact
    should I need to return to it). The new one worked fine, but I still had the
    problem I was trying to solve (a 7-min boot time ever since paper got stuck
    in the printer), so I deleted the old printer entry and now all is
    fine....:-)....
    --
    Janet

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > Here is a link to a 2.3.2 version for NT/2000.
    >
    > http://www.driverscollection.com/?H=DeskJet%20930C&St=4&By=Hewlett-Packard
    >
    > Janetb wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Bob,
    > >
    > > The old driver is not available for download on the HP website...I'll just
    > > assume I won't need it and that I will be able to get it from them if need
    > > be....It's just that Hp had such difficulties getting the printer to work
    > > when it was new---I simply can't afford to risk going thru that all over
    > > again---especially now that I no longer have access to their free
    > > support....I was on the phone with them constantly for several weeks back
    > > then, and, as I mentioned earlier, ended up with a driver which is not
    > > usually used in a 930 printer! It's an unusual situation and consequently
    > > requires precautions not usually necessary....
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help...
    > >
    > > Janet

Printer Driver Windows