tracking a program failure

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

hi,

I got a .exe taht is run by another .exe via a C "system" call.

sometimes, this hidden run does not works but the "outer" .exe is not
designed to track such error :(

is there a way to register the "inner" .exe in a way that it the run
fails, windows write a message in the application log?

TIA,
Pierre.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Wrong group. Ask them in the C programming groups.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Pierre Bru" wrote:
| hi,
|
| I got a .exe taht is run by another .exe via a C "system" call.
|
| sometimes, this hidden run does not works but the "outer" .exe is not
| designed to track such error :(
|
| is there a way to register the "inner" .exe in a way that it the run
| fails, windows write a message in the application log?
|
| TIA,
| Pierre.

dl

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

http://www.dependencywalker.com/
may help

Dave Patrick wrote:
> Wrong group. Ask them in the C programming groups.

why ?

I gave the info on the "system" to give as most info as possible on how
the "inner" .exe is called but I do not want (and I have absolutly no
way) to modify any of the two .exe

BTW, I do not want to have the error code of the failing run but only
have a log that the run has failed, for ex in the Event Viewer |
Application log.

I want to know if it is possible to tell windows: "watch every run of
this .exe and if the result of the run is not a success (based on its
return status), log an entry in the Application logs"

Pierre.

-- Regards, Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.

"Pierre Bru" wrote:
| hi,
|
| I got a .exe taht is run by another .exe via a C "system" call.
|
| sometimes, this hidden run does not works but the "outer" .exe is not
| designed to track such error :(
|
| is there a way to register the "inner" .exe in a way that it the run
| fails, windows write a message in the application log?
|
| TIA,
| Pierre.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Sorry but it is an application programming issue not an operating system
issue.

--

Dave Patrick wrote:
> Sorry but it is an application programming issue not an operating system
> issue.

why ? other operating systems (such as OpenVMS) allow me to track
application termination (success/failure). the programer has nothing
special to do while writting the application, it is an OS feature.

I was just wondering if Windows was able to do so...

Pierre.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

You'll need to either need to write something that monitors the app or look
for a third party tool.