Modem and COM Ports

Good Afternoon
I am running into a little difficulty and would appreciate some guidance.

I recently installed a new Modem into my PC and the COM port that it is
listed under is 4. When I try dialing out, I get a unable to initialize
modem message. I have COM Ports 1 and 2, but no 4. How can I get my modem
to connect to either 1 or 2?

I appreciate any suggestions that come my way!!

Thanks!!

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228086

or check Event Viewer for details on the error.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Todd Pallaske" wrote:
| Good Afternoon
| I am running into a little difficulty and would appreciate some guidance.
|
| I recently installed a new Modem into my PC and the COM port that it is
| listed under is 4. When I try dialing out, I get a unable to initialize
| modem message. I have COM Ports 1 and 2, but no 4. How can I get my
modem
| to connect to either 1 or 2?
|
| I appreciate any suggestions that come my way!!
|
| Thanks!!

That was rather a lame link to point the user to

I agree to check for the AT + T commands using Diagnostics, but you haven't
given the user anything else if that isn't any good.

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

Ok, you said that you installed a modem in your PC. So, I take it from that
it is an internal modem.

Is it a PCI or AC 97? If AC 97, have you enabled it in the BIOS? You will
find the setting near the onboard sound in the BIOS settings.

When you booted into Windows, did Windows automatically pick it up?

In Device Manager (right-click MY COMPUTER, click PROPERTIES, click the
HARDWARE tab & then the DEVICE MANAGER button), is there a yellow
exclamation mark against the modem in Question? If so, does it say no device
drivers loaded?

Please supply more information & the make/model of the modem if possible

Sorry that I am unabvle to help anymore at this particular time

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE