digitalmatt

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
Well I'm sure you're getting this question a lot in this particular forum, and I've been reading them all, but it's getting a little confusing to keep up.

I'm a web developer/designer, and also a gamer and I'm getting ready to build a system for the new year. I've got $2500 to spend. What should I get? Here's what I've been reading is the most ideal right now:

- 680i mobo
- E6600 processor, but I'm hearing to wait for the Q6800 to come out?
- 2 x GeForce 8800GTx
- 2 x 74gb raptors? I think I want bigger HDs than that though
- 2GB DDR RAM? What's the best RAM? OCZ?

I do want to have dual monitors. Is that what I need dual SLI for? or is dual SLI just more powerful video?

Thanks in advance for your help.

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
I don't think you need 2 8800GTX's for anything. Save your money and just get one. As far as I'm concerned, SLI (and Crossfire) is a waste of money - an enormous cost for not too much gain in many situations. You don't need SLI for dual monitors (though with 2 video cards, you can run up to 4 monitors 8) ). I run a monitor and a projector off my single 6600GT on my old rig, I'm sure an 8800GTX can handle 2 monitors. Maybe if you game at 2560 x 1600, you could actually get some use out of 2 8800GTX's, but even then a single 8800GTX kicks ass. 2 8800GTX's for any normal resolution is like swatting flies with nuclear missiles.

The E6600 is a fantastic CPU, overclockable just as high as its more expensive brothers. You probably don't need quad-core right now (hardly anyone does). And if you decide you do need a quad later on, you won't have spent a ridiculous amount on your CPU already.

If you don't plan on overclocking, you could buy any 533MHz RAM. But you're crazy not to overclock a Core2. Even if you don't feel like OC'ing, I'd buy 800MHz RAM, that way you have the option to shoot for a very good OC if you ever want to. I don't know who's the best brand, though. I know there's a guide out there somewhere that tries to help you find modules with good (Micron) IC's, I think this was it http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/ but it's down or something (right now, anyway). 2GB is a good amount.

For hard drives, you might consider a raptor to use for things you want to load quickly, and Seagate's 7200.10 drives for storage.

digitalmatt

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
Alright that sounds good. Now, what kind of cooling system will I need if I'm overclocking? I've never used water cooling before. Is it as hard to use as it sounds? And how can I overclock? Is it just some simple jumper settings or can I do it through BIOS?

yas

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
Well actually youd have to do a bit of reading before you can OC successfully although you would OC through the BIOS. I dont think youd need water cooling unless you want a massive OC. A zalman cooler would proabably get you to around 3.2ghz easy.

Also you could just get any good quality ram like OCZ, corsair, geil, gskill, or super talent.

desidude006

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Dont put 8800 gtx's in sli because a more powerfull card will come out in the future. And that single card will perform better then both of them in sli.
Nvidia and Ati will release more dx10 cards in January so just wait see what comes up.