SAM failed to write changes to the database

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 10, 2005 3:06:58 PM

"SAM failed to write changes to the database. This is most likely due to a
memory or disk-space shortage. The SAM database will be restored to an
earlier state. Recent changes will be lost. Check the disk-space available
and maximum pagefile size setting. "

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;215859

I have tried the following on the server with the problem:
- 13Gb free on C
- registry set to 900MB
- page file set to 2GB on C and 2GB on D
- dont need to defrag to trying anyway
- no updates to apply to 2000 server
- dont have netlogon.chg to delete as its not a DC

ALSO:
I can login to the DC ok. This machine has:
- 2Gb free on c
- 70 MB registry
- 768 for page file
- is not reporting any errors.
- defragging c now just in case.

Thanks for advice.
Scott
May 10, 2005 6:34:51 PM

I think login as local admin (as opposed to domain) and deleting all
profiles in "c:\docs and settings" may have done it (apart from all users
and local admin profiles as it would not let me.

scott
!