ISSUE!! New system - all I get is .75 secs of power!

avi8tir

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
just did a full system upgrade:
Pent. E6700
2 x 1 gb Corsair XMS1024-6400C2
Asus EN8800GTX
Asus P5N32-E SLI 680i
Coolmax CUG 700 watt PS
ThermalTake cpu fan

This is all in my old Antec Sonata case with original dvd-rw's and hdd's, which are going to be formatted with a fresh windows install.

Got everything hooked up. this is my 4th build, so Im not exactly a noob at this stuff. push the power button and all I get is less than a second of power (case fan, cpu fan, ps fan, graphics card fan & the lights on the ram blink for the same period). then nothing. the whole thing just shuts down. never had this issue with any of my other builds. already tried swapping the ram to various slots, tried a core system boot (video card, cpu, motherboard only) tried many many ideas on this forum, and I keep getting the same exact result. thanks!

avi8tir

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
any other thoughts on this? should I go to the store and grab a new power supply? I really dont want to try a new board unless I have to thanks!

avi8tir

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
ok. went out and got a new power supply. same issue. a split second of power (fans start going) then it stops. the light on the mobo is on indicating it gets power, but still just a moment of an attempted boot.... help!

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Remove the heatsink, look at compound underneath. If not showing thin even layer, was not fitted correctly! Clean all compound and re-apply fresh. Refit heatsink and double check is tight at all 4 corners. When securing last corner check that opposite corner does not rise away from board.
Mike.

Bjorn0

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
ok. went out and got a new power supply. same issue. a split second of power (fans start going) then it stops. the light on the mobo is on indicating it gets power, but still just a moment of an attempted boot.... help!

It could be the video card, I had a 6800 that did the same thing when it died.

Try a new one if you can. If you do not have one readily available you can try asking a local repair shop if you can just try one of their test cards in your system. If they are not a prick, they will let you try it out real quick.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
just did a full system upgrade:
Pent. E6700
2 x 1 gb Corsair XMS1024-6400C2
Asus EN8800GTX
Asus P5N32-E SLI 680i
Coolmax CUG 700 watt PS
ThermalTake cpu fan

This is all in my old Antec Sonata case with original dvd-rw's and hdd's, which are going to be formatted with a fresh windows install.

Got everything hooked up. this is my 4th build, so Im not exactly a noob at this stuff. push the power button and all I get is less than a second of power (case fan, cpu fan, ps fan, graphics card fan & the lights on the ram blink for the same period). then nothing. the whole thing just shuts down.

(1) make sure the CPU power connector is connected, though I doubt this is it.

(2) turn off the switch on the power supply or disconnect it, then reconnect power. Turn on the system with the front panel switch and IMMEDIATELY press and hold the "Insert" key on the bottom right of the keyboard. This will reset the resource allocation and system speeds in case they have got into an "Illegal" configuration. This may be enough to restore operation. Doing a cold reset by disconnecting the Bios battery doesn't always solve the problem that the warm reset addresses.

avi8tir

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
problem solved! I started to really do some trouble shooting and stripped it down to basically nothing, out of the case. I even tried removing the cpu fan (I have a thermaltake aftermarket fan) when I did this it worked. after a few more steps I realized what the issue was. the cpu fan has a backplate that mounts behind the mobo. I had it turned upside-down. there is some sort of coating on one side that is supposed to facing (and touching the mobo. this was the issue. I flipped around and so far so good. the other side must have been shorting out the board. thanks guys!