Last response: in Graphics & Displays

Which is better for gaming at 1600x1200

Total: 49 votes

• 8800GTS
  • 92 %
  • 1950XTX
  • 9 %
December 27, 2006 4:42:37 AM

Hey people. I've been away frrom the forums and computer stuff for about a month. So anyway, i had my new comp order set up then, and i didn't order it, so today i was ordering it, checking everything over and it looked good. I got a pretty good deal on the vid card, a 1950xtx for $460 CAD. So i order it. Then i look back at some other stuff and suddenly i notic that i missed the sale price of the 8800gts which was down a $120 to $460. So i just began to freak out a few minutes ago, because i'm not sure which is better. I know the 8800 has DX10, but thats not a concern since i won't be getting vista for at least a year and a half. So I just need to know which is better, really fast, so that i can tell them to change my order possibly before it ships, which could be tomorrow morning.

PS. I've checked reviews and seen conflicting results about which is better, so don't tell be to google it. :wink:

EDIT: 1:o H!, lol, there is a new developement, with the ATI card, i get Tom Clancy's RAINBOW SIX VEGS GAME... not that that will affect my decision much, just givin ya all tha facts 8)

EDIT 2: Another question i just thought of, does anyone know how loud the 8800 fan is? I know the ATI one is pretty quiet, but i never hear anything about nvidia, i always just assumed that no news was good news but meh

More about : urgent question

December 27, 2006 4:45:54 AM

The 8800gts is a much better card then the 1950xtx, theres no reason to buy a new 1950xtx right now unless your getting one for an insane discount (like $100 below the 8800gts.) and since the 8800gts and 1950xtx are the same price right onw you should really get the 8800gts.
December 27, 2006 4:54:39 AM

Ya, i just sent NCIX a ticket to pause my what they are doing till i can sort this out. Its also annoying cuz my i ordered it at my dad's house and i won't be able to change anything or reorder it if thats what is required till tomorrow when i can get his info again... damn i hate when i fuck up

I even forgot to add windows to my order lol
Related resources
December 27, 2006 4:55:52 AM

Quote:
The 8800gts is a much better card then the 1950xtx, theres no reason to buy a new 1950xtx right now unless your getting one for an insane discount (like $100 below the 8800gts.) and since the 8800gts and 1950xtx are the same price right onw you should really get the 8800gts.

word.

GTS is really just a better all around card that beats the X1950XTX in many benchmarks (or loses by 2 FPS, if i remember correctly).

It has fixed teh HDR + AA, score great on the HQV benchies (I think that is the right name :wink:) .

Call me an nVidia fan boy, but right now nVidia is really the way to go, in the upper price range that is.
December 27, 2006 5:00:06 AM

So theres none of that HDR and AA problem anymore with the new cards is what your saying right?
December 27, 2006 5:01:38 AM

I agree, 8800gts kicks some serious butttt. btw, i'm getting one myself :lol: 
December 27, 2006 5:08:55 AM

Already Have One :)  (Sig)
December 27, 2006 5:10:09 AM

Quote:
So theres none of that HDR and AA problem anymore with the new cards is what your saying right?

Correct.

Quote:
The previous issues with Nvidia not being able to do AA with HDR are history.

THG Source
December 27, 2006 5:10:26 AM

Someone on the NCIX forum just brought up a good point. Will the 8800 fits in aerocool extreme engine 3t and will it fit on thee asus crosshair mobo, and also, will the x2 3800 EE bottleneck it? wow, lost a questions.
December 27, 2006 5:13:31 AM

Quote:
Someone on the NCIX forum just brought up a good point. Will the 8800 fits in aerocool extreme engine 3t and will it fit on thee asus crosshair mobo, and also, will the x2 3800 EE bottleneck it? wow, lost a questions.

Yes. It will bottleneck it, but no more than a X1950XTX probably.... ok, maybe a little more, but you will still love the GTS to death :D 
December 27, 2006 5:14:36 AM

Quote:
but you will still love the GTS to death :D 

lol
December 27, 2006 5:17:47 AM

Quote:

Yes. It will bottleneck it, but no more than a X1950XTX probably.... ok, maybe a little more, but you will still love the GTS to death :D 

Well hopefully i will be able to get the 3800 up to 2.6ghz with the zalman 9500, but even so, i'm upgrading from a p2 celeron at 333mhz, and no vid card, so anything will put me in a coma lol

AHHH VIBRANT COLOURS 8O
December 27, 2006 5:19:46 AM

Quote:
i'm upgrading from a p2 celeron at 333mhz, and no vid card, so anything will put me in a coma lol

ohh, you'll think you've died and went to heaven
December 27, 2006 5:21:27 AM

Now that is an upgrade... nicely done.

You are right, you really won't notice the difference if that is what you are coming from.

AS for the OC, 2.6 shouldn't be a problem on air. My OC is fairly overvolted (main contributor to heat and processors frying) and it still works like a charm. I would expect the wall to be between 2.65-2.75 (depending on the CPU), but thats just my suspicion.
December 27, 2006 5:28:39 AM

So no body knows if it will fit on the asus crosshair and in this case?
December 27, 2006 5:43:29 AM

Quote:

GTS is a standard GPU with 2 slot cooler, it is long, but I doubt it will be a problem. It will be a tight fit because the GTS will run 1 full inch longer than the ATX mobo, but is very doable. The only issue you will have is whether or not it is close enough to the hard drive racks to mess you up, but unless you have 12 HDD's, you can just move the HDD up or down a slot.

Basically, I won't guarantee a fit, but most likely it will.
December 27, 2006 5:52:02 AM

Quote:

GTS is a standard GPU with 2 slot cooler, it is long, but I doubt it will be a problem. It will be a tight fit because the GTS will run 1 full inch longer than the ATX mobo, but is very doable. The only issue you will have is whether or not it is close enough to the hard drive racks to mess you up, but unless you have 12 HDD's, you can just move the HDD up or down a slot.

K, thanks man, now lets just hope NCIX lets me change my order :wink:
December 27, 2006 6:01:13 AM

You are welcome. best of luck :D 
December 27, 2006 11:42:36 AM

The 8800GTS will eat the X1950XTX alive. No contest here.
December 27, 2006 12:40:01 PM

Quote:

Um, I thought the GTS were the same size as regular high end cards and the GTX was as long as the mobo.
December 27, 2006 3:42:28 PM

Quote:

Um, I thought the GTS were the same size as regular high end cards and the GTX was as long as the mobo.

After a bit of digging, you are right and I am wrong. I thought they were the same length, but eVGA says the 8800GTS is only 9" long, so damn. Good catch. I really did think they were the same length.

Point Eurasianman :D 
December 27, 2006 4:05:18 PM

....and to mention it's a DX10 card which would be a next step in gaming quality from DX9.c. You can use the DX10 feature with the Vista and DX10 softwares.
December 27, 2006 4:15:54 PM

Who knew there were at least 4 extremely retarded people on these forums...
December 27, 2006 4:31:42 PM

No question... 8800 GTS is the only reasonable choice between the two.
December 27, 2006 4:57:43 PM

Quote:

Huh?

To the OP: 8800GTS.
December 27, 2006 5:01:14 PM

Quote:

Huh?

To the OP: 8800GTS.

It was directed at those who voted for the other card :D 
There are 4.
December 27, 2006 5:04:16 PM

Stick with the 8800GTS

/end of Thread :tongue:
December 27, 2006 5:08:01 PM

OK. I didn't look at the poll results. That's pretty funny. :) 
December 27, 2006 5:33:51 PM

In the states I'm seeing the 8800 GTS for less than $400 (barely) on sites like NewEgg after you factor in the rebate.
December 27, 2006 5:34:52 PM

the 8800's bury anything on the market presently
December 27, 2006 6:04:34 PM

Quote:

As for the Crosshair, there should be no problem with one card. There might be if you're planning to go SLI, but I'm not sure about that. As long as the case has standard mid-tower dimensions, the card should fit the case, especially since its a bit shorter than the GTX.
December 27, 2006 6:21:40 PM

Quote:
the 8800's bury anything on the market presently

hey cdonato, glad to see someone using a crosshair an a zalman 9500. Did you have any problems with it fitting, cuz i heard about some close fits. Also, how do you like the board and heatsink?
December 27, 2006 6:29:35 PM

Did you ever specify the rest of your build?

You do know there's a crosshair for AMD and Intel, right? Both are setup a little different... I think. :oops: 

I'm to lazy to go to the ASUS website (mainly because when I go there, it takes forever for the site to load).
December 27, 2006 6:52:41 PM

Quote:
Did you ever specify the rest of your build?

You do know there's a crosshair for AMD and Intel, right? Both are setup a little different... I think. :oops: 

I'm to lazy to go to the ASUS website (mainly because when I go there, it takes forever for the site to load).

Actually i think the new intel board is called the striker, but ya, i bought...

x2 3800 EE
Asus Crosshair mobo
EVGA 8800GTS
team xtreem(or w/e) 2x1gig DDR2 800 4-4-4-10(i think) but this is good ram
Enermax liberty 620w
Aerocool Extreme Engine 3T case
WD 250 SE16 HD
and...
Zalman 9500 heatsink
Logitech G15 keyboard
" " G7 Mouse
Samsung w/e, its the only one they have... 19" crt

i think thats it. i'll add anything i missed later.
December 27, 2006 7:18:11 PM

sounds like a good build. processor will limit your FPS (somewhat, but you know that), but it will still spank my system :wink:
December 27, 2006 7:30:49 PM

Quote:
sounds like a good build. processor will limit your FPS (somewhat, but you know that), but it will still spank my system :wink:

Ya, wel i'll see how far i can push the cpu, i'm betting 2.6 since this is my first time overclocking. But w/e, its still going from a p2, so i don't think i'll know the difference. 8)
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2006 8:09:43 PM

As everyone is saying, the 8800GTS wins in almost every game, so it's better for 16x12 gaming. And they are priced about the same, so it would seem the X1950XTX is not a smart buy right now. It needs to be a good $75-100 cheaper than the 8800GTS.

I was looking to buy an 8800GTS myself but cheaped out for a X1950XT 256MB. The thing about the GF8800's that scares me most though is the compatibility problems. All is not fine and dandy with the 8800's now. http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36577 Still, I'd buy either the 8800GTX, 8800GTS or the X1950XT on the cheap.
December 27, 2006 8:25:41 PM

Quote:

Ya, wel i'll see how far i can push the cpu, i'm betting 2.6 since this is my first time overclocking. But w/e, its still going from a p2, so i don't think i'll know the difference. 8)

It all gravy my man, my sig rig is the first thing I have ever OC'd too lol. You learn alot, fast. You are also right you won't notice the difference... just pretty colors and effects you will stare all day at for at least a week :wink:
December 27, 2006 8:47:48 PM

Its funny, cuz today i've been sending to tickets to NCIX about my order and how i want to change it, and why arn't they answering me and what not. But a while ago i found the "edit your order" tab, and did it myself. I sent one last ticket as an apology lol, they probably hate me :wink:
December 27, 2006 9:22:16 PM

Oops, good thing UPS/FedEx delivers your stuff :wink:
December 27, 2006 9:57:22 PM

Quote:
Oops, good thing UPS/FedEx delivers your stuff :wink:

Well they havn't shipped it yet since i found out its 2-5 days for the G15 keyboard, but that was yesterday so its 1-4 lol. Plus i save big on it from them, no reason to spend $120 at future shop for one plus 14% tax when i can get it with my order for $69 and 6% tax and like $5 shipping lol.
December 27, 2006 10:19:33 PM

The 8800GTS without question.

It will probably however turn out to be like the 6600GT - it delivers what you want now, however ultimately once the new games (DX10) actually come out and hardware has moved on, you might be disappointed you didn't wait. But you can always SLI it.
December 27, 2006 10:24:46 PM

Good point.
December 27, 2006 10:57:17 PM

Quote:
The 8800GTS without question.

It will probably however turn out to be like the 6600GT - it delivers what you want now, however ultimately once the new games (DX10) actually come out and hardware has moved on, you might be disappointed you didn't wait. But you can always SLI it.

I will definatly not be dissapointed since like i said, i've been using this POS p2 celeron 366mhz for 8 years. And i won't SLI it becuase thats not a good upgrade path. I said my plan is too upgrade at the last possible moment where AMD stops making AM@ compatible processors, and then buy a new cpu and graphics card.
December 27, 2006 11:38:17 PM

Quote:

EDIT 2: Another question i just thought of, does anyone know how loud the 8800 fan is? I know the ATI one is pretty quiet, but i never hear anything about nvidia, i always just assumed that no news was good news but meh

I just read a review in custom pc that said it wasnt too bad, unless you overclock it, (its a good little overclocker, they got an extra 10fps on most games (23% overall, and up to 630mhz from 500mhz on the GPU core)). The fan was "noticeably louder" than at stock speeds. But still, overall, a v.quiet card, just like its bigger brother, the GTX.
December 27, 2006 11:45:13 PM

Quote:

I just read a review in custom pc that said it wasnt too bad, unless you overclock it, (its a good little overclocker, they got an extra 10fps on most games (23% overall, and up to 630mhz from 500mhz on the GPU core)). The fan was "noticeably louder" than at stock speeds. But still, overall, a v.quiet card, just like its bigger brother, the GTX.

Sweet. Thanks for answering that question. I actually forgot i asked it :wink:
!