spoolsv pegging CPU.

I have a Windows 2000 AS that is setup as a Terminal Server. The server is
not used over the weekend. Every Sunday night I login to the server remotely
and check the speed. Most of the time it is running very slowly. At this
time, no one is on the server, other than myself. There is only one batch
process (AV update check and scan) which runs at 1:00 AM. If it is running
slow, I reboot the server and all is fine. If I do not reboot the server, it
will be so slow that users logging in on Monday have a great deal of
difficulty connecting. I have checked to see what is running on the server
and every time it is "spoolsv" pegging the CPU. Is there a known issue with
the print spooler peggin the server? During time when the server should be
pretty much idle?

Thanks!

Try stopping the 'Print Spooler' server then clean out;
%windir%\system32\spool\PRINTERS\
directory.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"David Langschied" wrote:
|I have a Windows 2000 AS that is setup as a Terminal Server. The server is
| not used over the weekend. Every Sunday night I login to the server
remotely
| and check the speed. Most of the time it is running very slowly. At this
| time, no one is on the server, other than myself. There is only one batch
| process (AV update check and scan) which runs at 1:00 AM. If it is
running
| slow, I reboot the server and all is fine. If I do not reboot the server,
it
| will be so slow that users logging in on Monday have a great deal of
| difficulty connecting. I have checked to see what is running on the
server
| and every time it is "spoolsv" pegging the CPU. Is there a known issue
with
| the print spooler peggin the server? During time when the server should
be
| pretty much idle?
|
| Thanks!

I checked the size of that folder and it is only a few 100 Kb.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Try stopping the 'Print Spooler' server then clean out;
> %windir%\system32\spool\PRINTERS\
> directory.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "David Langschied" wrote:
> |I have a Windows 2000 AS that is setup as a Terminal Server. The server is
> | not used over the weekend. Every Sunday night I login to the server
> remotely
> | and check the speed. Most of the time it is running very slowly. At this
> | time, no one is on the server, other than myself. There is only one batch
> | process (AV update check and scan) which runs at 1:00 AM. If it is
> running
> | slow, I reboot the server and all is fine. If I do not reboot the server,
> it
> | will be so slow that users logging in on Monday have a great deal of
> | difficulty connecting. I have checked to see what is running on the
> server
> | and every time it is "spoolsv" pegging the CPU. Is there a known issue
> with
> | the print spooler peggin the server? During time when the server should
> be
> | pretty much idle?
> |
> | Thanks!

Meant to say "Try stopping the 'Print Spooler' service"

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Delete them.

--

"David Langschied" wrote:
|I checked the size of that folder and it is only a few 100 Kb.

I will give this a try. The last time I did this the CPU went down to normal
while it was stopped and then went back up to 100% after restarting.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Meant to say "Try stopping the 'Print Spooler' service"
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Don't forget to clear out the spool directory.

--

"David Langschied" wrote:
|I will give this a try. The last time I did this the CPU went down to
normal
| while it was stopped and then went back up to 100% after restarting.

I cleared all file and folder that I can think of. Still when I start
spoolsv.exe takes 99% of CPU.
When I looked under Computer Management – System Tools - Software
Environment – Jobs – Print. I see unknown word across the entire taps. I do
not know how to clear it.

Any Ideas
--
GH