Copy of sent items for news groups

I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news groups
kept. How can I do this?

--
Blair Malcolm
15 answers Last reply

    What are you using as a newsreader and what are you using for email?

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > What are you using as a newsreader and what are you using for email?

    Taking a stab and looking at the OPs header information:

    From: "Blair"
    Subject: Copy of sent items for news groups
    Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:04:23 -0000

    I would venture (given the phrasing of the query) they are using:
    Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
    for both.

    For which the only solution I see is for them to begin using something
    different for newsgroups or for email.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Just create a folder in OE to keep those posts in. When you want to keep a
    post, just grab it while you are in the forum in OE and drop it in the
    folder. A copy will be saved in the folder. This way you can purge the
    newsgroups as usual and retain the posts you want.

    "Blair" wrote:

    > I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news groups
    > kept. How can I do this?
    >
    > --
    > Blair Malcolm

    should have read the post a little more carefully ;-)

    "sdwalks" wrote:

    > Just create a folder in OE to keep those posts in. When you want to keep a
    > post, just grab it while you are in the forum in OE and drop it in the
    > folder. A copy will be saved in the folder. This way you can purge the
    > newsgroups as usual and retain the posts you want.
    >
    > "Blair" wrote:
    >
    > > I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news groups
    > > kept. How can I do this?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Blair Malcolm

    Makes you wonder how many have gone to the expense of installing XP, but
    haven't bothered installing Office (or don't even realise why they have a
    thing called 'Outlook' in Office) which contains 'Outlook' as the mail
    recipient.
    That way it's no prob to make Outlook the mail reader & OE the NG reader &
    keep them completely independent of each other.

    --

    johnf

    "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
    | Makes you wonder how many have gone to the expense of installing XP, but
    | haven't bothered installing Office (or don't even realise why they have a
    | thing called 'Outlook' in Office) which contains 'Outlook' as the mail
    | recipient.
    | That way it's no prob to make Outlook the mail reader & OE the NG reader &
    | keep them completely independent of each other.

    Many have not installed Office because they have no use for it. Makes you
    wonder why someone who thinks everyone should install Office doesn't realize
    that Outlook is not a "mail recipient" but an e-mail client and a lot more,
    and that some people only need an e-mail client, for which purpose OE does
    just fine.

    As a mater of fact I have installed Office and I used to use Outlook for all
    my email but I now prefer Outlook Express and I find it more convenient to
    use OE for both News and Mail
    I will just have to continue deleting the news items in the sent area.
    Blair

    "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > Makes you wonder how many have gone to the expense of installing XP, but
    > haven't bothered installing Office (or don't even realise why they have a
    > thing called 'Outlook' in Office) which contains 'Outlook' as the mail
    > recipient.
    > That way it's no prob to make Outlook the mail reader & OE the NG reader &
    > keep them completely independent of each other.
    >
    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    > > Blair Malcolm wrote:
    > >> I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news
    > >> groups kept. How can I do this?
    > >
    > > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > >> What are you using as a newsreader and what are you using for email?
    > >
    > > Taking a stab and looking at the OPs header information:
    > >
    > > From: "Blair"
    > > Subject: Copy of sent items for news groups
    > > Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:04:23 -0000
    > >
    > > I would venture (given the phrasing of the query) they are using:
    > > Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
    > > for both.
    > >
    > > For which the only solution I see is for them to begin using something
    > > different for newsgroups or for email.
    > >
    > > --
    > > <- Shenan ->
    > > --
    > > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    > > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    > > responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    > > getting into before you jump in with both feet.

    Salut/Hi johnf,

    le/on Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:33:23 +1100, tu disais/you said:-

    >Makes you wonder how many have gone to the expense of installing XP, but
    >haven't bothered installing Office

    Because it costs another $300 or whatever?

    >thing called 'Outlook' in Office) which contains 'Outlook' as the mail
    >recipient.
    >That way it's no prob to make Outlook the mail reader & OE the NG reader &
    >keep them completely independent of each other.

    Alternatively Eudora (sponsored) and Free agent will do the job and cost
    nothing at all.

    --
    All the Best
    Ian Hoare

    Blair wrote:
    > As a mater of fact I have installed Office and I used to use Outlook for all
    > my email but I now prefer Outlook Express and I find it more convenient to
    > use OE for both News and Mail
    > I will just have to continue deleting the news items in the sent area.
    > Blair

    Try Mozilla Thunderbird - you can specify by account (i.e. Mail or News)
    whether you want copies saved in the Sent folder. It's free too.

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Just waiting for Broadband to complete the conversion!(4 weeks and

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:25:15 +0000, Blair wrote:

    > As a mater of fact I have installed Office and I used to use Outlook for all
    > my email but I now prefer Outlook Express and I find it more convenient to
    > use OE for both News and Mail
    > I will just have to continue deleting the news items in the sent area.
    > Blair
    >

    > "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >> Makes you wonder how many have gone to the expense of installing XP, but
    >> haven't bothered installing Office (or don't even realise why they have a
    >> thing called 'Outlook' in Office) which contains 'Outlook' as the mail
    >> recipient.
    >> That way it's no prob to make Outlook the mail reader & OE the NG reader &
    >> keep them completely independent of each other.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> johnf

    >> > Taking a stab and looking at the OPs header information:
    >> >
    >> > From: "Blair"
    >> > Subject: Copy of sent items for news groups
    >> > Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:04:23 -0000
    >> >
    >> > I would venture (given the phrasing of the query) they are using:
    >> > Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
    >> > for both.
    >> >
    >> > For which the only solution I see is for them to begin using something
    >> > different for newsgroups or for email.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > <- Shenan ->
    >> > --
    >> > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    >> > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    >> > responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    >> > getting into before you jump in with both feet.

    Ditto the Thunderbird advice.
    Selectable themes, extension, and best of all free (as previously mention)

    Rush
    http://www.bythedrop.com

    "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    >I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news groups
    > kept. How can I do this?
    >
    > --
    > Blair Malcolm

    OE has no way of doing what you ask other than you changing the setting when
    you switch between the two.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Just delete your sent newsgroup post items.

    Everything you send (news or mail) is kept in Sent Items, unless you delete
    it.

    You could set up "Rules/Filters" so that for any posts "From" [you] AND To
    [whatever.newsgroup] the action is "Delete".

    This will delete your posts to all groups specified, but keep your emails.
    So if you subscribe to 50 groups you need 50 rules to cover them all.

    OTOH you could just select all your news posts in Sent Items folder and
    press "delete" the lot every day or two - sounds easier and a lot less
    bother.

    I don't know what mail program you use....above is for Outlook Express.

    "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    >I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news groups
    > kept. How can I do this?
    >
    > --
    > Blair Malcolm

    Thanks Andrew. I use Outlook Express and I agree I will continue to delete
    items in news periodically
    Blair

    "Andrew Murray" <admurray@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > Just delete your sent newsgroup post items.
    >
    > Everything you send (news or mail) is kept in Sent Items, unless you
    delete
    > it.
    >
    > You could set up "Rules/Filters" so that for any posts "From" [you] AND To
    > [whatever.newsgroup] the action is "Delete".
    >
    > This will delete your posts to all groups specified, but keep your emails.
    > So if you subscribe to 50 groups you need 50 rules to cover them all.
    >
    > OTOH you could just select all your news posts in Sent Items folder and
    > press "delete" the lot every day or two - sounds easier and a lot less
    > bother.
    >
    > I don't know what mail program you use....above is for Outlook Express.
    >

    > "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > >I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news
    groups
    > > kept. How can I do this?

    To delete the newsgroup items, click on tools, click
    manintenance, click clean up now & click delete and click yes to delete,
    Hope this is what you are looking for, Bill
    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    >>I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news
    >>groups
    >> kept. How can I do this?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Blair Malcolm
    >

    > OE has no way of doing what you ask other than you changing the setting
    > when you switch between the two.
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC
    > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    Thanks Bill. It worked a treat
    I also noticed that there was an item which gave a choice of the number of
    days before deleting downloaded news items. I will try that and it should
    act automatically
    Blair

    "Bill Summers" <wsummers1@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > To delete the newsgroup items, click on tools, click
    > manintenance, click clean up now & click delete and click yes to delete,
    > Hope this is what you are looking for, Bill
    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > >>I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news
    > >>groups
    > >> kept. How can I do this?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Blair Malcolm
    > >

    > > OE has no way of doing what you ask other than you changing the setting
    > > when you switch between the two.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > > Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
    > > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > > Protect your PC
    > > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

Microsoft Windows XP