Copy of sent items for news groups

January 20, 2005 9:04:23 AM

I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news groups
kept. How can I do this?

--
Blair Malcolm

More about : copy items news groups

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:04:24 AM

What are you using as a newsreader and what are you using for email?

"Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news groups
> kept. How can I do this?
>
> --
> Blair Malcolm

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:04:25 AM

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> What are you using as a newsreader and what are you using for email?

Taking a stab and looking at the OPs header information:

From: "Blair"
Subject: Copy of sent items for news groups
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:04:23 -0000

I would venture (given the phrasing of the query) they are using:
Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
for both.

For which the only solution I see is for them to begin using something
different for newsgroups or for email.

--
<- Shenan ->
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Just create a folder in OE to keep those posts in. When you want to keep a
post, just grab it while you are in the forum in OE and drop it in the
folder. A copy will be saved in the folder. This way you can purge the
newsgroups as usual and retain the posts you want.

"Blair" wrote:

> I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news groups
> kept. How can I do this?
>
> --
> Blair Malcolm

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 5:39:06 PM

should have read the post a little more carefully ;-)

"sdwalks" wrote:

> Just create a folder in OE to keep those posts in. When you want to keep a
> post, just grab it while you are in the forum in OE and drop it in the
> folder. A copy will be saved in the folder. This way you can purge the
> newsgroups as usual and retain the posts you want.
>
> "Blair" wrote:
>
> > I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news groups
> > kept. How can I do this?
> >
> > --
> > Blair Malcolm

January 20, 2005 9:33:23 PM

Makes you wonder how many have gone to the expense of installing XP, but
haven't bothered installing Office (or don't even realise why they have a
thing called 'Outlook' in Office) which contains 'Outlook' as the mail
recipient.
That way it's no prob to make Outlook the mail reader & OE the NG reader &
keep them completely independent of each other.

--

johnf

> Blair Malcolm wrote:
>> I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news
>> groups kept. How can I do this?
>
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> What are you using as a newsreader and what are you using for email?
>
> Taking a stab and looking at the OPs header information:
>
> From: "Blair"
> Subject: Copy of sent items for news groups
> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:04:23 -0000
>
> I would venture (given the phrasing of the query) they are using:
> Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
> for both.
>
> For which the only solution I see is for them to begin using something
> different for newsgroups or for email.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->
January 20, 2005 9:33:24 PM

"johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:o mcoQJs$EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| Makes you wonder how many have gone to the expense of installing XP, but
| haven't bothered installing Office (or don't even realise why they have a
| thing called 'Outlook' in Office) which contains 'Outlook' as the mail
| recipient.
| That way it's no prob to make Outlook the mail reader & OE the NG reader &
| keep them completely independent of each other.

Many have not installed Office because they have no use for it. Makes you
wonder why someone who thinks everyone should install Office doesn't realize
that Outlook is not a "mail recipient" but an e-mail client and a lot more,
and that some people only need an e-mail client, for which purpose OE does
just fine.
January 20, 2005 9:33:24 PM

As a mater of fact I have installed Office and I used to use Outlook for all
my email but I now prefer Outlook Express and I find it more convenient to
use OE for both News and Mail
I will just have to continue deleting the news items in the sent area.
Blair

"johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:o mcoQJs$EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Makes you wonder how many have gone to the expense of installing XP, but
> haven't bothered installing Office (or don't even realise why they have a
> thing called 'Outlook' in Office) which contains 'Outlook' as the mail
> recipient.
> That way it's no prob to make Outlook the mail reader & OE the NG reader &
> keep them completely independent of each other.
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
> > Blair Malcolm wrote:
> >> I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news
> >> groups kept. How can I do this?
> >
> > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> >> What are you using as a newsreader and what are you using for email?
> >
> > Taking a stab and looking at the OPs header information:
> >
> > From: "Blair"
> > Subject: Copy of sent items for news groups
> > Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:04:23 -0000
> >
> > I would venture (given the phrasing of the query) they are using:
> > Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
> > for both.
> >
> > For which the only solution I see is for them to begin using something
> > different for newsgroups or for email.
> >
> > --
> > <- Shenan ->
> > --
> > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
> > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
> > responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
> > getting into before you jump in with both feet.

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:33:24 PM

Salut/Hi johnf,

le/on Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:33:23 +1100, tu disais/you said:-

>Makes you wonder how many have gone to the expense of installing XP, but
>haven't bothered installing Office

Because it costs another $300 or whatever?

>thing called 'Outlook' in Office) which contains 'Outlook' as the mail
>recipient.
>That way it's no prob to make Outlook the mail reader & OE the NG reader &
>keep them completely independent of each other.

Alternatively Eudora (sponsored) and Free agent will do the job and cost
nothing at all.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Blair wrote:
> As a mater of fact I have installed Office and I used to use Outlook for all
> my email but I now prefer Outlook Express and I find it more convenient to
> use OE for both News and Mail
> I will just have to continue deleting the news items in the sent area.
> Blair

Try Mozilla Thunderbird - you can specify by account (i.e. Mail or News)
whether you want copies saved in the Sent folder. It's free too.

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Just waiting for Broadband to complete the conversion!(4 weeks and

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:25:15 +0000, Blair wrote:

> As a mater of fact I have installed Office and I used to use Outlook for all
> my email but I now prefer Outlook Express and I find it more convenient to
> use OE for both News and Mail
> I will just have to continue deleting the news items in the sent area.
> Blair
>

> "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
> news:o mcoQJs$EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Makes you wonder how many have gone to the expense of installing XP, but
>> haven't bothered installing Office (or don't even realise why they have a
>> thing called 'Outlook' in Office) which contains 'Outlook' as the mail
>> recipient.
>> That way it's no prob to make Outlook the mail reader & OE the NG reader &
>> keep them completely independent of each other.
>>
>> --
>>
>> johnf

>> > Taking a stab and looking at the OPs header information:
>> >
>> > From: "Blair"
>> > Subject: Copy of sent items for news groups
>> > Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:04:23 -0000
>> >
>> > I would venture (given the phrasing of the query) they are using:
>> > Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
>> > for both.
>> >
>> > For which the only solution I see is for them to begin using something
>> > different for newsgroups or for email.
>> >
>> > --
>> > <- Shenan ->
>> > --
>> > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
>> > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
>> > responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
>> > getting into before you jump in with both feet.

Ditto the Thunderbird advice.
Selectable themes, extension, and best of all free (as previously mention)

Rush
http://www.bythedrop.com
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 11:44:09 PM

"Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news groups
> kept. How can I do this?
>
> --
> Blair Malcolm

OE has no way of doing what you ask other than you changing the setting when
you switch between the two.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Just delete your sent newsgroup post items.

Everything you send (news or mail) is kept in Sent Items, unless you delete
it.

You could set up "Rules/Filters" so that for any posts "From" [you] AND To
[whatever.newsgroup] the action is "Delete".

This will delete your posts to all groups specified, but keep your emails.
So if you subscribe to 50 groups you need 50 rules to cover them all.

OTOH you could just select all your news posts in Sent Items folder and
press "delete" the lot every day or two - sounds easier and a lot less
bother.

I don't know what mail program you use....above is for Outlook Express.

"Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news groups
> kept. How can I do this?
>
> --
> Blair Malcolm

January 23, 2005 8:23:57 AM

Thanks Andrew. I use Outlook Express and I agree I will continue to delete
items in news periodically
Blair

"Andrew Murray" <admurray@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> Just delete your sent newsgroup post items.
>
> Everything you send (news or mail) is kept in Sent Items, unless you
delete
> it.
>
> You could set up "Rules/Filters" so that for any posts "From" [you] AND To
> [whatever.newsgroup] the action is "Delete".
>
> This will delete your posts to all groups specified, but keep your emails.
> So if you subscribe to 50 groups you need 50 rules to cover them all.
>
> OTOH you could just select all your news posts in Sent Items folder and
> press "delete" the lot every day or two - sounds easier and a lot less
> bother.
>
> I don't know what mail program you use....above is for Outlook Express.
>

> "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> >I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news
groups
> > kept. How can I do this?

Anonymous
January 23, 2005 12:21:19 PM

To delete the newsgroup items, click on tools, click
manintenance, click clean up now & click delete and click yes to delete,
Hope this is what you are looking for, Bill
"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>>I wish to have copies of my mail kept but do not wish copies of news
>>groups
>> kept. How can I do this?
>>
>> --
>> Blair Malcolm
>

> OE has no way of doing what you ask other than you changing the setting
> when you switch between the two.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/defau...

January 24, 2005 9:40:09 AM

Thanks Bill. It worked a treat
I also noticed that there was an item which gave a choice of the number of
days before deleting downloaded news items. I will try that and it should
act automatically
Blair

news:o LUFx$WAFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

!