Software artifacts vs. in game performance

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
I've been OCing my GPU slowly from time to time to make sure it stays stable at each speed. My stock speeds were 520/540 and at the moment, I'm running it at 570/630- I've heard people take it to 580/660 but what are the chances of me getting one of those rare cards.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm in danger territory and also confused about it.

When I use ATI Tool's artifact scan, it just crashes and ATI VPU recover restores everything back to my default speeds (which is my long tested and perfectly stable 560/630). I don't actually see any artifacts, the program just crashes. Yet, I just played Tomb Raider Legend as high as my card/system could take it (1680x1050, AA, all effects turned on except for advanced next gen features, aka SM3, which my card can't do since it's only SM2) for 15 minutes without any issues. It run fairly smoothly at 30fps, taking the occasional dip in some more intense situations like bloom lighting, water, dust, smoke, etc.

I know that's not even close to a stress test but why does ATI Tool show problems while a game doesn't?

I'll try some more intense games tomorrow (HL2 and then Oblivion) for a bit longer and report back. Maybe Tomb Raider isn't though enough...

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
you sure you have the latest verson of ATItool?
I remember testing by 6600gt with atitool (instead of rivatuner), and it would show artifacts at speeds far below tested maximum.

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
I have a very recent version... the same one that I had with my faulty previous version of this card which showed plenty of artifacts.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I have this same thing on my x800GTO. Around 480 on the core it just stops, after a few secs the screen turns black. It's just the maximum of the card, I would have no idea how to change this.

(an easy way of getting some more fps'es is to tighten your VRAM timings so you can test a littlefurther (Use this on your own risk :lol: ))

Your temps shouldn't exceed the 80*C then your on the good side, although 80*C really is the maximum i would run it at. 70*C tops would be best.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
In atitool, next to the button 'settings' there is a button called 'mem' click on it, and you can adjust your VRAM timings. It is easy, when you go to far you got artifacts instantly (and my system locks up after a few secs) so you dont have to do long testing. I have opened a topic about if this can screw up the VRAM. Couldnt find it on google :oops:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Mem-timings-x800GTO-ftopict215414.html

If you have answers, that would be great 8)

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
The mem setting does not show up on my current version (.26). Do I need another version? Maybe tightening up timings does not show up for nVidia cards?

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Maybe it is because the nvidia card. Probably will work with ati cards, or you just need another program for the mem timings on a NV card