8800gtx distant fog glitch....

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
In every valve game iv played...dark messiah, half life, counter strike source and some others...i get this fog affect in which the farther away i stroll away from an object, the grayer it gets, until it full disapears. as i walk up closer to the object, it appears normal again and theres no fog around it with my 8800gtx...i just swapped it with my 7800gtx which was working fine. I havnt come here to ask how to fix it, im coming here to ask if anyone has this similar problem, and if anyone knows if its a defective card, or if its because another patch has to be released to fix the shadowing and fog affects in these games? and yes before you ask, i have the latest drivers, old drivers are uninstalled completely. thanks

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I did not notice anything like that. Could you please post a screenshot to see what it is that you are talking about? I'll pay more attention the next time i play but like i said i didn't notice anything.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Well, I DON'T have an 8800GTX, but from what you're saying it sounds like it's just the drivers. You don't have a defective card, it's just that the drivers for this particular card are still relatively new.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I've played Episode One for a bit now i noticed the same thing as what you were talking about. Kind of foggy in the distance. I did not even notice that before. I have a GTX card. Yeah i vote for the driver issue as well.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Like I said... if you guys are able to game normally, then it sounds like it's just a driver issue. Don't forget, this is a relatively new card so the drivers aren't yet mature.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Yep and i am guessing they are hard at work on the Vista drivers as we speak since this is the only DX10 video card out there today so they want to make sure it works with Vista the way it supposed to.

I cant wait for DX10 games. :)

I don't think they give too much crap about XP drivers since everyone who has this card is going to upgrade Vista anyways. Otherwise why would they spent the money on the DX10 card.

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Well vista is only a month away! mark your calanders 8800 owners because then we get to laugh at those silly people still using OLD dx9.0

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Happens to me on certain maps too (militia, dust). Wondering if it isn't just something with HDR. Don't have a 8800, but a 7900. Object gets smoked out heavily around what looks like 30 - 40 yards w/o smoke around the object. Looks odd. Got the 93.81 beta set.

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
PLaying HL 2 and i get the same thing a sort of FOG its not terrible or gamebreaking just wierd(i got an 8800GTS)
ya its not gamebreaking, but its extremely annoying, especially in very wide open big maps in dark messiah or cs source...cuz the people get grayed out sorta, and it takes away the detail at far distances , i hope this can be fixed.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
It is a driver issue. Its all over the web.
Like i said they don't care about that too much since Vista is only a month away so they want to make sure the cards will work flawlessly in Vista, with DX10.
After Vista is out i am sure there will be number of patches for all the different software including Steam to patch it up to make sure it works in the new OS. Probably one of those patches will also fix this issue.

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
It is a driver issue. Its all over the web.
Like i said they don't care about that too much since Vista is only a month away so they want to make sure the cards will work flawlessly in Vista, with DX10.
After Vista is out i am sure there will be number of patches for all the different software including Steam to patch it up to make sure it works in the new OS. Probably one of those patches will also fix this issue.

this might be true, but i didnt pay 630 bucks to not get a good patch for this card for the games.im not getting vista until crysis is nearly released, and im hearing everything from april-september of 07, so in my eyes, it as absolutely pointless to get vista right now if your using it for gaming features,which im sure most of us are. the only reason i want vista, is for dx10 games. i dont care about fancy virus software, 3D windows, im happy with xp until dx10 games actually arrive. especially considering i get no viruss and barely any spyware on my computer.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
im not getting vista until crysis is nearly released,

I dont like to spend so much money on hardware for just 1 game. Who know Crysis might gonna suck and then what. You threw all that money away for 1 game. I am actually looking forward to a number of games that are going to be released in March and they are DX10. One of them is Supreme Commander and the other one is Hell Gate London. I believe there is going to be a major performance boost to current games as well with a patch to make them run with DX10. I read something about that, they will release a patch to Mark of Chaos and Company of Heroes to make it run in DX10.

I don't give too much sh1te about Crysis at the moment, because it looks pretty but who knows how well will it play. Pretty graphics are not enough to keep me entertained these days.