Sign in with
Your question

Installing Windows - Major Issue

Tags:
Last response: in Mac Os X
January 31, 2013 12:37:20 AM

I recently was given a Macbook Pro (I think it is a 2008 model) which has a broken screen, so I have to use an external monitor for it. This all worked fine, until I tried to install windows on it. Little did I know, the installer does not support the "clamshell" method. So now I'm stuck. My computer boots into the windows installer no matter what I do, and I cannot install windows because I can't see what I'm doing. At the same time, none of the startup commands I've tried will allow me to eject the disc or boot up into OS X.

Does anyone know anything I can do here, short of repairing the screen, which I think would be quite expensive? Or should I just sell it as a for parts computer?
January 31, 2013 12:46:55 AM

Take HDD out of it and preinstall Windows on it from another PC (from which you should unplug all the HDDs beforehand to avoid boot manager mess).
After installation is complete, go to C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep and run sysprep.exe with following options: Generalize, OOBE, Shut Down. This will wipe the installation of all system specific info, i.e. drivers that might cause your Macbook to BSOD before being able to get into Windows.
m
l
!