GA-965P-DQ6 - BIOS update from out of box

hey guys, im going to be getting the GA-965P-DQ6 in about a month. and ive heard the pc6400 ram doesnt like to work unless you have the F7 bios.

how would i go about installing the F7 bios before i install windows.

im noob.

Da1e.

merry xmas & happy new year.
15 answers Last reply
More about 965p bios update
  1. F4 fixed most if not all of the memory problems. And if you're ordering in a month or so, the board will probably already have F7.
  2. yay. thnx

could you tell me the process anyway? incase it doesnt have F4 or higher BIOS.

cause the F7 BIOS from the gigabyte site is a .exe file and about 700kb.
  3. Press F2 while booting, get into the BIOS screen, then press F8 and load the BIOS from floppy.
  4. so just put the F7 bios.exe on a floppy and then press F2 before bios and F8 while in bios?

kthx
  5. Quote:
    so just put the F7 bios.exe on a floppy and then press F2 before bios and F8 while in bios?

kthx

right.
  6. If for some reason you get a board with a very old BIOS, and your memory is incompatible, you won't even be able to POST much less load a new BIOS. You'll have to beg/borrow/steal some compatible memory, install it, flash the new BIOS, then re-install the original memory.
  7. I don't think the .exe is going to boot off a disk. May as well just install Windows and update the BIOS after that.

I'd like to also mention that 2 days ago, that motherboard had a BIOS update to F8 which adds an FSB1333 feature. I'm getting it tonight!
  8. Quote:
    I don't think the .exe is going to boot off a disk. May as well just install Windows and update the BIOS after that.

I'd like to also mention that 2 days ago, that motherboard had a BIOS update to F8 which adds an FSB1333 feature. I'm getting it tonight!

You don't boot anything except the BIOS. You don't need windows, you don't need a disk, and the BIOS is not an .exe file.
  9. Quote:
    I don't think the .exe is going to boot off a disk. May as well just install Windows and update the BIOS after that.

You don't boot anything except the BIOS. You don't need windows, you don't need a disk, and the BIOS is not an .exe file.

Oh you don't say? Obviously you haven't done this on the GA965P-DQ6 board. The .exe that you download happens to be a windows extractable file. You do in fact need Windows to run this .exe, and it extracts the files that you have to put on a floppy disk, then boot to the floppy afterwards. I stand by my last recommendation to install Windows and update BIOS after, unless you can throw the files on a disk from another PC.
  10. i bought a DQ6 with the F1 bios and my DDR2 -800 mhz worked out of the box,no problems at all

(mushkin pc6400 4.4.3.10 2x1gb)
  11. well thanks for all your help lads. i guess its just hit or miss with the ram. some work some dont. im getting my board in jan so im sure itll be revisiong 2 with the latest BIOS if not then just anything above F4 will suffice.

thnx for all your help!
  12. Quote:

Oh you don't say? Obviously you haven't done this on the GA965P-DQ6 board. The .exe that you download happens to be a windows extractable file. You do in fact need Windows to run this .exe, and it extracts the files that you have to put on a floppy disk, then boot to the floppy afterwards. I stand by my last recommendation to install Windows and update BIOS after, unless you can throw the files on a disk from another PC.

Listen up. My DQ6 has the F2 BIOS on it, I have since upgraded to the F3, F4, F5, F6 F7 and now the F8 BIOS by loading it off floppy using the Q-flash utility built into the BIOS, I have never done it through Windows I have never used an .exe file. The file extension was .f1, f2,. f3. and so in. The BIOS is a 1MB Binary Data File, not an .exe

You sir, are an idiot.
  13. LOL.

snapt
  14. The download from the website is a .exe that extracts the files needed for the floppy which includes .F8, autoexec.bat, and another .exe. I just did it not four hours ago unless you're getting your BIOS from another site o.O

15. running on Corsair ddr2 800 and Kingston ddr2 667 no probs at all. from F4 to F8 bios

F8 bios

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2295&ProductName=GA-965P-DQ6
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte BIOS RAM Motherboards