Ghosted to new disk - won't boot.

Tim

Hi;

This may, or may not, be a w2k problem - apologies if it isn't.

I've got a dinky little shuttle system, running Windows 2000 on a
partitioned hard disk (an 80Gb disk split into a C and a D drive). They're
formatted to NTFS.
The hard disk seems to be on the way out; so I got a similar disk, formatted
it to NTFS, and then got Norton Ghost to clone the C: drive onto the new
disk. It only takes up 3Gb; but it's done nothing funny; the full 80Gb of
the new disk is still there. The plan is to copy the "D:" bits, later.

When I replace the old hard disk, with the new one; the machine hangs; says
there's no system disk. I can't "sys" the new disk - that's not an option;
and besides, Ghost should have done it already, right? If I put the old disk
in as a secondary master, it boots straight to that disk; and the new disk
is visible and useable within windows. But not bootable!

This is the only Windows 2000 PC I've ever had the pleasure of playing with;
and right now, I'd rather have Me - at least I already knew that was c**p
;-(((((

Tim

"Tim" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi;
>
> This may, or may not, be a w2k problem - apologies if it isn't.
>

> I've got a dinky little shuttle system, running Windows 2000 on a
> partitioned hard disk (an 80Gb disk split into a C and a D drive). They're
> formatted to NTFS.
> The hard disk seems to be on the way out; so I got a similar disk,
formatted
> it to NTFS, and then got Norton Ghost to clone the C: drive onto the new
> disk. It only takes up 3Gb; but it's done nothing funny; the full 80Gb of
> the new disk is still there. The plan is to copy the "D:" bits, later.
>
> When I replace the old hard disk, with the new one; the machine hangs;
says
> there's no system disk. I can't "sys" the new disk - that's not an option;
> and besides, Ghost should have done it already, right? If I put the old
disk
> in as a secondary master, it boots straight to that disk; and the new disk
> is visible and useable within windows. But not bootable!
>
> This is the only Windows 2000 PC I've ever had the pleasure of playing
with;
> and right now, I'd rather have Me - at least I already knew that was c**p
> ;-(((((
>
> Tim

I suspect you will soon find that Win2000 is far superior and certainly
a lot more stable than WinME.

To restore your booting ability, do this:
- Disconnect your old disk.
- Boot the machine with your Win2000 CD.
- Select "Repair", then "Recovery Console".
- Type these commands:
fixboot
fixmbr

Your machine should now boot normally.

Tim

Excellent - thanks muchly.

And I'll be honest - a one legged ballerina on a plate of jelly is more
stable than WinME ;-)

Tim

> I suspect you will soon find that Win2000 is far superior and certainly
> a lot more stable than WinME.
>
> To restore your booting ability, do this:
> - Disconnect your old disk.
> - Boot the machine with your Win2000 CD.
> - Select "Repair", then "Recovery Console".
> - Type these commands:
> fixboot
> fixmbr
>
> Your machine should now boot normally.

Tim

Just for general information - that didn't work; but a full reinstall of
win2000 worked okay; after which I ghosted the old partition onto the new
disk; and it worked fine.

Bit of a tangle, but got there in the end.

Tim

Thanks for the feedback.

On Mon, 16 May 2005 10:05:29 +0200, "Tim" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Just for general information - that didn't work; but a full reinstall of
>win2000 worked okay; after which I ghosted the old partition onto the new
>disk; and it worked fine.
>
>Bit of a tangle, but got there in the end.
>

>Tim

Please have a quick check see how many users of various kinds you now have. I
have for some time when in trouble formatted my small (7.8GB) C: partition and
re-installed 2000 after which I restored the latest good back-up.
I noticed that the usage of the partition was getting bigger each time as I make
a lot of notes (I have to learn quick as I am now 82 years of age)
I noticed there were a number of Administrators and quite a number of 'Borge'
and each one of those carried the information for each type of user.

I have now deleted all of the spare ones and the machine is still working fine
and I am again back to using just 3,2 GB of the partition. I wonder if that also
happens if you are ghosting.

I am nearly ready to bet that is so as the new installation calls for a new
Admin, User with admin access and additional Users.

If so delete with care.

B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp