Downgrade to previous version of UNIDRV.DLL (Universal Pri..

We are experiencing a problem where a service (Fabsoft’s Reform print spooler
service) on our W2K Domain Controller is not starting up automatically after
a reboot. In addition our fax software, Tobit's FaxWare, also works best with
the previous version. This apparently began after an update to the Universal
Printer Driver UNIDRV.DLL. What process actually updated this I have not been
able to determine. This file is currently at version 0.3.1282.1, product
version 5.1.2600.1147. The previous version which worked without this problem
was 0.3.1281.0, product version 5.1.2600.1106. I have a copy of the previous
version with both service’s install files. I have renamed all copies of the
updated version including in the C:\winnt\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3 and
C:\winnt\servicepackfiles\i386 and placed a copy of the previous version in
these two locations, but after rebooting the previous version is overwritten
with the updated again. Where can I find what it causing the updated version
to overwrite?
Thanks in advance!

The file is probably protected. Check the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache
folder. Be sure to also check the dependency structure to see what else may
need to be replaced.

You can run depends.exe against the DLL to check dependencies

You'll find depends.exe within
http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Description of the Windows 2000 System File Checker Tool
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/system_file_checker.mspx

Description of the Windows 2000 Windows File Protection Feature
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=222193

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional