An article on the founder of TOMSHARDWARE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
There is surprising little info on the founder of tomshardware. would love to have an article on him with lots of pictures and the sort.
this might include some major milestones, for those of us who are new here.

and you can include some bio on the editors, the story writers and the reviewers(the people whose name we read in the articles and reviews).

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
By the time that France's BestOfMedia purchased Tom's Hardware Guide in 2007, the site was generally acknowledged to be a mere shadow of its former self, its articles incomprehensibly mangled in translation from their original German, and the majority of the long established "forum gurus" chased away to Xcpus after a feud with a rabid AMD enthusiast nicknamed Baron Matrix who later disappeared (most likely in shame) when AMD launched its disastrous Phenom line. In a marketing decision which has to rank as one of the most absurd in technology publishing history, Mr. Rahmat kept the rights to Tom's news pages and proceeded to staff them with writers known for their fact-light sensationalism. To this day, many of the site's remaining knowledgeable forum participants still are not aware that these are now two separate companies and still wonder out loud about the befuddling content of those now-unrelated pages.

interesting.
also explains the poor quality of the news articles.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
It really is remarkable how incredibly off-base and biased those articles are.
How Tom's Hardware pwnd the industry then lost it? Seriously? We're stronger and more active than we've ever been. This community itself continues to break records in measurable metrics.

As for bios and a bit of the "About Us" stuff, I think this would be a great addition. Will forward the suggestion up. :)

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
If you're referring to TG Daily, perhaps. That is what that blog post is referring to after all.

i didnt even know tgdaily existed.
i was referring to the general less than optimal quality of the news section, with multiple grammar, spelling and content errors, and lots of sensationalistic headlines etc.

I'm curious as to why there is no Wikipedia entry for Tom.

yeah. wiki is the first link you open. could someone make a nice wiki article on tomshardware with plenty of info? looks overdue.

randomizer

Champion

A number of years ago it was connected with THG, but hasn't been for a while. That is the site run by Omid Rhamat. The site has changed quite a bit since I last looked at it. Their articles are half the length that they used to be, which is nice. The subject matter isn't to my taste though...

A headline is meant to draw attention, so a small amount of exaggeration doesn't hurt IMO, as long the actual article content is accurate. I don't think our headlines are that bad at all TBH. If we were imitating the way headlines are often written on Fudzilla there might be more cause for concern, but even then it's the article content that really matters. A boring headline doesn't encourage anyone to read what may otherwise be an interesting article.

I meant Tom himself. There is no Wiki entry on Thomas Pabst.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
are all the different language tomshardware sites created equal?

because the CPU efficiency article was already there on the german TMH site about 8 days back. and its now that its posted on the US version.

randomizer

Champion
That means it was done by the German team and translated to English. Most articles are done by the US, German or French guys. I'm not sure who decides who does what, but I know that all major product launch articles are done by the US team.

Status
Not open for further replies.