windows 2000 pro problem, blue stop screen 0x0000007B

Hope someone can help.

I get the death (blue) screen on boot up. I assume a virus has mucked things
up buit I do not know. It (IBM thinkpad, 1.6ghz, 30gb HD) was fine then...

It says exactly: ***STOP: 0x0000007B
(0X818508b0,0XC0000032,0X00000000,0X0000000) INACCESSIBLE_ BOOT_ DEVICE

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives
or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly
configured and teminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption,
and then restart your computer.

Well, I did scandisk and chkdsk to no avial. I am not good with this sort of
thing so if there is any one who can help, mucho gracias. Again, laptop
worked fine before sudden blue screen of death. I just want my files back and
I can format and go to XP pro. OR of course making 2000 work again is good
too.

Thanks!

"Windup" <Windup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hope someone can help.
>
> I get the death (blue) screen on boot up. I assume a virus has mucked
things
> up buit I do not know. It (IBM thinkpad, 1.6ghz, 30gb HD) was fine then...
>
> It says exactly: ***STOP: 0x0000007B
> (0X818508b0,0XC0000032,0X00000000,0X0000000) INACCESSIBLE_ BOOT_ DEVICE
>
> Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives
> or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is
properly
> configured and teminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive
corruption,
> and then restart your computer.
>
> Well, I did scandisk and chkdsk to no avial. I am not good with this sort
of
> thing so if there is any one who can help, mucho gracias. Again, laptop
> worked fine before sudden blue screen of death. I just want my files back
and
> I can format and go to XP pro. OR of course making 2000 work again is good
> too.
>
> Thanks!

For starters I would press F8 during the early boot phase and select
"Last known good configuration" or "Safe Mode".

If you're considering reloading WinXP, how is your data backup
situation? Also: Is the machine networked? Does it have an inbuilt
network adapter? Do you have a network you could connect it to?