Reduced colors?

Stilet

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
have the following problem:

The colors appears as 16-bit in-game, but are set to 32-bit in windows.
Basicly, a color banding issue I guess.
This tends to happen in WoW and movies in windows.

Screenshots where it is clearly visible:

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/2242/issue1qd2.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/738/issue2iu6.jpg

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/6829/vlcsnap23344ai4.png

As you notice that the colors are not switching smooth as they are supposed to.

What I have tried to do in order to solve this:

Reinstalled drivers.
Reinstalled windows.
Updated with the freshest drivers avalible to the monitor and the graphic card.
Reinstalled WoW.
Removed Addons.
Set the quality to maximum both in WoW and windows.

Just in case, the graphic card I am using is a ASUS GeForce 7800gt, 256mb; and the monitor - Samsung SyncMaster 225BW.

I have also tried to use previous versions of drivers.

How can you fix this?

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I had to strain my eyes to see that "clearly visible" banding issue, turning my monitor to full brightness, and these aren't even in-game screenshots. Do you have any of those, because already I'm feeling like this is a menu thing?

Don't worry about movies, they always do that, unless you pay for some good software. :?

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Just because the monitor worked when new does not guarrantee that it is working now! If a different monitor works, then original is FAULTY!
Mike.

sailer

Splendid
Have you tried different monitor?

Yes, and it worked. But when I first bought this monitor it also worked - so it is not the monitor.

OK, so it worked at one time. That gives the hint that either the video card is failing or the monitor is failing. Might be easiest to try the monitor on a couple other machines. If the problem continues, then the monitor is bad. If it runs clearly, then try the video card elsewhere and see what happens. If both monitor and video card test good, then a possiblity is that the motherboard is failing.

Yeah, lots of work, but you've been doing a lot of work anyway.

Stilet

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Have you tried different monitor?

Yes, and it worked. But when I first bought this monitor it also worked - so it is not the monitor.

OK, so it worked at one time. That gives the hint that either the video card is failing or the monitor is failing. Might be easiest to try the monitor on a couple other machines. If the problem continues, then the monitor is bad. If it runs clearly, then try the video card elsewhere and see what happens. If both monitor and video card test good, then a possiblity is that the motherboard is failing.

Yeah, lots of work, but you've been doing a lot of work anyway.

So if I have done much work already it's just go and do some more? :) Think over mate
It dosent halp that you state the obvious.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
How about a screenshot of one of your standard windows desktop backgrounds? Maybe change your background to the "Windows XP" one and take a screen shot of it. It does look to me like there is a video mode switch going on. 16 Bit color vs 32 Bit color on my standard Windows XP 64 Bit wallpaper is quite noticable just like what you are outlining in your images. Have you recently updated your Video Drivers or possibly a game patch that may have changed how the menu's are being displayed? Are you running any video tweaking software that forces the display into 16 bit mode regardless of what the game or windows settings are? Let us know what you find. Also is there any way to change the cable going between your monitor and your VC? It's possible that there may be a fault in the cable as well.

Stilet

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
How about a screenshot of one of your standard windows desktop backgrounds? Maybe change your background to the "Windows XP" one and take a screen shot of it. It does look to me like there is a video mode switch going on. 16 Bit color vs 32 Bit color on my standard Windows XP 64 Bit wallpaper is quite noticable just like what you are outlining in your images. Have you recently updated your Video Drivers or possibly a game patch that may have changed how the menu's are being displayed? Are you running any video tweaking software that forces the display into 16 bit mode regardless of what the game or windows settings are? Let us know what you find. Also is there any way to change the cable going between your monitor and your VC? It's possible that there may be a fault in the cable as well.

I have checked this all up, none of it solved the issue. I understand what you mean by a windows wallpaper screenshot; you cannot see the banding there.