Raid 0 upgrade... before and after benchmarks...

forumtroll

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
I just upgraded to raid 0 yesterday...

Here are the Si Sandra benchmarks before and after:

The w/o raid benchmarks are in italics... the with raid benchmarks are in bold.

Drive Index: 52 MB/s, 97 MB/s
Random Access Time: 7ms, 7ms

Buffered Read: 159 MB/, 286 MB/s
Sequential Read: 59 MB/s, 117 MB/s
Random Read: 41 MB/s, 65 MB/s
Buffered Write: 121 MB/s, 173 MB/s
Sequential Write: 59 MB/s, 115 MB/s
Random Write: 42 MB/s, 78 MB/s

The improvement is notable... better than I was expecting.

redman2025

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
What Stripe size did you use? I have my Raid 0 set up on a 64 if I remember right. Have you done any reading on what is the best size to use?

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Very interesting. I was planning on doing something like this with my RAID'ed drives but I forgot to do a set of benches before I did the RAID. Also, although I didn't use SiSandra, I got pretty lousy random access times... like 16ms or something which was worse than even my 7200.8. I was a bit pissed about that since my roommate has a single 200GB version of the 160GB drives I was using and his random access times were MUCH better.
Could this be due to stripe size or the RAID Controller (onboard NForce4)?

-mcg

pat

Expert
Very interesting. I was planning on doing something like this with my RAID'ed drives but I forgot to do a set of benches before I did the RAID. Also, although I didn't use SiSandra, I got pretty lousy random access times... like 16ms or something which was worse than even my 7200.8. I was a bit pissed about that since my roommate has a single 200GB version of the 160GB drives I was using and his random access times were MUCH better.
Could this be due to stripe size or the RAID Controller (onboard NForce4)?

-mcg

nforce4 controller is not the best one, as it has been surpassed by most major vendor, like ATI, ULI, intel or Sil..

My RAID array, on my ULI controller is way faster and snappier that it was on my nforce4 motherboard..

forumtroll

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
What Stripe size did you use? I have my Raid 0 set up on a 64 if I remember right. Have you done any reading on what is the best size to use?

I didn't do any research on the best stripe size. The controller recommended 128k for raid 0, so I rolled with the default.