Do I need extra cooling when not overclocking?

chuft

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Hello,

I am getting ready to build my second computer.

Seems like things are a lot more power-hungry - and hotter - than 5 years ago when I built my first one.

I am not planning to overclock. How do I know how much cooling I need?

The "Build Your Own" articles, while extremely helpful, don't seem to talk about cooling issues.

I plan to use a Core Duo 6400 or 6600, an nVidea 7600GT for now with a later upgrade to a DX10 card when they get cheaper, and I guess a 600w or 700w power supply. Planning to use a Xion II case, which comes with two stock 120mm fans and an 80mm side fan. Is the stock cooling sufficient? If not, how do I find out what I need? I don't think this case has any more openings for fans.

Thanks for any advice.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Since you're not OCing, you should have no need for aftermarket cooling. I'm running a 60% OC on stock cooling. Temps could be a little lower, but aren't bad.

Check your temps when you get it built. If they're running hot, you probably did something wrong. Anyway, post your temps when you get it up and running. We can go from there.

chuft

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Thanks very much.

I am not sure what "hot" is, but hopefully the information will be in the manuals for the hardware.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Also, I highl doubt you'll need a 700w power supply if you're not going SLI/Crossfire. A good 600w should be more than enough.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
The PSU only needs to be around 400-500W buying bigger will be better wont hurt though. When you upgrade to a DX10 card upgrade the PSU then. PSU go bad and I have found are rarely dependable after a year and half no matter what brand you buy. I have some that last twice as long but for the most part it's about a year and half with over-spec'd top tier PSU's