am2,am2+,not compatible, im getting pissed

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Im getting a little pissed, im regretting not holding out for the core 2, however I was gonna make the best of a bad situation and get a am2+ board and wait for quad core chips to be priced down for us average guys, then i read this:

[/list]The new desktop chips will feature AM2+ form-factor and will not be drop-in compatible with existing infrastructure. here is the link for the whole article hopefully i misread itanantech

Amd is screwing people lately in a the same way sony is screwing people with the ps3, empty promises and lies.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I havent had coffee yet, this is not gonna be a sun shiny happy day, a guy can only get so many upgrades before a wife starts to notice, im gonna take this am2 fiasco as a lost and hopefully build a intel quad setup by mid 2007.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
You would be surprised at what a guy can upgrade infront of his wife. ;) If she is blonde enough that is!!. I did my Video Card, Mobo, RAM, and Proc right in front of her!! I just told her I was cleaning out my case and flushing out the watercooler!!! The only thing she really noticed was when she turned her computer on later that night. I think her exact quote was. "Wow! I didn't think that you blowing the dust out my computer would make it run this much faster!!" Needless to say she got my old components. Donating my old stuff to her takes away the guilt!!!

I havent had coffee yet, this is not gonna be a sun shiny happy day, a guy can only get so many upgrades before a wife starts to notice, im gonna take this am2 fiasco as a lost and hopefully build a intel quad setup by mid 2007.

I hear ya. Do consider whether or not you will need 4 cores. I just recently upgraded to dual-core because of the pending multi-core update for CounterStrike: Souce. If you don't run software that is highly threaded you'll have to MEGATASK to take advantage of all the PLATFORMANCE that a quad core setup (AMD or Intel) can provide.

Also, around mid-2007 AMD might be paper-launching their K8L chips. I'd wait to see the benchies on those to see if they can take back the performance crown.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
don't read into that x-bit article too much, there basing ther assumption off of the roadmap which says nothing about not being compatible. AMD has announced themselves it would be, but your AM2+ won't be able to utilize the newer features in an AM2 board because the chipsets won't support the added features. Based off that one would assume current AM2 chips would work just peachy in a AM2+ mobo because the same thing applies as with AM2+ into AM2, extra features not supported.

and i'm with TC i can't wait for the multi-core support on CS:Source

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
The only notable "extra feature" is HT3.0, and honestly that shouldn't make any difference, or at least not a significant one. No need to upgrade to an AM2+ mobo if you've already got a good AM2 version.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I have told my wife enough about computers that she is getting harder to trick, when i went from 939 to am2, she came down while i was setting up the bios, she looked at me and said "didnt your computer used to say foxconn!", so i told her that i added some drivers from asus, and thats why it said that.
On another note, i dont actually need quad core i imagine, but im sure i want it , i use nero7.5 ultra, and divx 6 a lot, and those two programs take advantage of multicore. plus when i saw that quadfx demo that was encoding 2 hd movies, playing battlefield 2142, and ripping mp3, i knew i had to have it sooner than later, within budget of course.

I have told my wife enough about computers that she is getting harder to trick, when i went from 939 to am2, she came down while i was setting up the bios, she looked at me and said "didnt your computer used to say foxconn!", so i told her that i added some drivers from asus, and thats why it said that.

ROTFLMAO - Used the old bios trick myself.

Yes, that is hilarious. I don't think my wife would ever be so observant!

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
My understanding is Am2+ chips drop-in to AM2 boards. Of course there will be some features of the 2+ chips that will not be active in the plain 2 boards, but you still can have the 2+ chips drop-in to your old 2 board I believe. I've seen this a few places.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
LOL, we're all terrible people deceiving our wives, but its so much easier than justifying a new purchase.

All y'all had best make sure you dont walk away from your screens with this thread up. If your wives read how youve been deceiving them its gonna be expensive new diamond pendant retribution time. That\ll put the hurt on your new dx10 card upgrades

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I'd go bankrupt!! My wife would want retribution for every upgrade I've done so far!! The last computer she knows and has approved of my buying was old P3 CuMine 600. I have gone through a whole seriese of T-Breds, Bartons, a S754, and now onto my DC Optie!!

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Lol, you guys have it lucky. I'm 17, no wife (duh!), and living off my dad's money while going to college. Gonna be kind of hard to explain to him why $500 dollars disappeared off my bank account while "touching up" my computer.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
The only notable "extra feature" is HT3.0, and honestly that shouldn't make any difference, or at least not a significant one. No need to upgrade to an AM2+ mobo if you've already got a good AM2 version.

There is also the split plane voltages. This allows each core to be throttled independently.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Lol, you guys have it lucky. I'm 17, no wife (duh!), and living off my dad's money while going to college. Gonna be kind of hard to explain to him why $500 dollars disappeared off my bank account while "touching up" my computer.

You think you're unlucky? I'll trade places with you if you want. :wink:

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I'd go bankrupt!! My wife would want retribution for every upgrade I've done so far!! The last computer she knows and has approved of my buying was old P3 CuMine 600. I have gone through a whole seriese of T-Breds, Bartons, a S754, and now onto my DC Optie!!

Now thats funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honest hon, its the same old computer....

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
LOL we will look forward to your raging post, about this time next year, when Intel announces it is releasing a new socket for 2008

Im getting a little pissed, im regretting not holding out for the core 2, however I was gonna make the best of a bad situation and get a am2+ board and wait for quad core chips to be priced down for us average guys, then i read this:
AM2 released Feb 2006, lets assume the article is correct and AM2 dies out in Q3 of 2007(which is unlikely). Thats 1.5 years on the same socket.
C2D released July 2006, expected to change sockets in 2008. Well what do you know, 1.5 years.

The new desktop chips will feature AM2+ form-factor and will not be drop-in compatible with existing infrastructure. here is the link for the whole article hopefully i misread itanantech
I'm surprised that no one has commented on this guys link. WTF were you trying to do here? Im guessing this was some sort of attempt at making your post more credible by using anandtech in the link while redirecting the user to a lousy half written xbit news flash that reads like its been translated from another language.

***Warning***
Nothing against xbit labs or C2D but the article was horrible.

GlacierFreeze

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Booooo hooooo I can't use my socket S939 motherboard with the K10 processors coming out in <insert distant future date>. :roll: Geez the motherboard is one of the cheapest components in the computer and is easy to change out..............

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
ok may '06 to lets say sep '07? 1.42 years.

if it is compatible (which is more likely than this post seeing as their is a tapeout of quadcore for AM2 already) then the next question mark will be 2H08(AM3), which would extend the figure to 2 yrs.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

You think you're unlucky? I'll trade places with you if you want. :wink:
Yeah, that's like me saying "You think YOU have it bad? I have a wife with tons of money, so every time I need a new PC I have to ask her for one! It SUCKS!" ;)

On a serious note, my fiancé (we're getting married tomorrow) could care less if I buy new stuff, but she probably wouldn't really notice either. If my BIOS suddenly said ASUS she would never know.

Of course, I don't think any of us could sneak in a 4X4 upgrade. All of our significant others would notice when the electricity bill doubles and you can boil an egg on the nightstand it's so hot in the house. :lol: