NTLDR corrupted(?) after scandisk/chkdsk

We are having an issue with one of our Citrix servers... they are all on
scheduled reboot cycles every week... a couple days ago one of them never
rebooted.
After the POST routine all we get is a flashing cursor in the top left
corner of the screen. No error messages at all. First we thought the issue
was with the MBR, but soon ruled this out (after using the MBR from one of
the other Citrix servers)...
I was able to boot the system from a Windows 2000 boot floppy with no
issues. Once the system was up: renamed NTLDR on the system partition,
copied NTLDR from the floppy, and reset the attributes (system,hidden,read
only). After this removed the boot floppy and the system booted with no
apparent issues. On next boot we ran scandisk/chkdsk which rebooted the
system half way through the 4th phase. System now back to the original
problem: flashing cursor in top left of screen with no error messages.

Last thing that we tried: booted with floppy and copied NTLDR again, ran
defrag over night. In the moring ran scandisk/chkdsk again. Once again,
same issue.

Can anybody think of a reason that this may be occurring?

This article may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320397

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Dave Schroeder" wrote:
| We are having an issue with one of our Citrix servers... they are all on
| scheduled reboot cycles every week... a couple days ago one of them never
| rebooted.
| After the POST routine all we get is a flashing cursor in the top left
| corner of the screen. No error messages at all. First we thought the
issue
| was with the MBR, but soon ruled this out (after using the MBR from one of
| the other Citrix servers)...
| I was able to boot the system from a Windows 2000 boot floppy with no
| issues. Once the system was up: renamed NTLDR on the system partition,
| copied NTLDR from the floppy, and reset the attributes (system,hidden,read
| only). After this removed the boot floppy and the system booted with no
| apparent issues. On next boot we ran scandisk/chkdsk which rebooted the
| system half way through the 4th phase. System now back to the original
| problem: flashing cursor in top left of screen with no error messages.
|
| Last thing that we tried: booted with floppy and copied NTLDR again, ran
| defrag over night. In the moring ran scandisk/chkdsk again. Once again,
| same issue.
|
| Can anybody think of a reason that this may be occurring?

Thank you! This has resolved my problem....

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> This article may help.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320397
>
>-
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Dave Schroeder" wrote:
> | We are having an issue with one of our Citrix servers... they are all on
> | scheduled reboot cycles every week... a couple days ago one of them never
> | rebooted.
> | After the POST routine all we get is a flashing cursor in the top left
> | corner of the screen. No error messages at all. First we thought the
> issue
> | was with the MBR, but soon ruled this out (after using the MBR from one of
> | the other Citrix servers)...
> | I was able to boot the system from a Windows 2000 boot floppy with no
> | issues. Once the system was up: renamed NTLDR on the system partition,
> | copied NTLDR from the floppy, and reset the attributes (system,hidden,read
> | only). After this removed the boot floppy and the system booted with no
> | apparent issues. On next boot we ran scandisk/chkdsk which rebooted the
> | system half way through the 4th phase. System now back to the original
> | problem: flashing cursor in top left of screen with no error messages.
> |
> | Last thing that we tried: booted with floppy and copied NTLDR again, ran
> | defrag over night. In the moring ran scandisk/chkdsk again. Once again,
> | same issue.
> |
> | Can anybody think of a reason that this may be occurring?

Glad to hear this. Thanks for the feedback. You're welcome.