WinXP will not boot

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi. Last night my computer crashed. When I tried to reload Windows XP it
stops on the splash screen. (The one with "Windows XP" and the nifty little
blue progress bar...)

I tried Last Known Config... got the same results.
I tried System Restore... and the same thing keeps happening.

I can load up in Safe Mode... but I don't know where to go from there to fix
this.

I've searched these discussion groups so I have a general idea of what I'm
going to need to do to resolve this issue...

Is there a KB article that outlines the order of steps I should follow?

You may or may not need a reload. When we get this in our shop, we do
the following. After the antivirus and spyware scan shows clean, we
change msconfig to selective startup and reboot the machine adding one
more category of device drivers and services. When the machine starts
to lock up and crash you have isolated the troubleshooting down to that
particular group. Repeat the process within that group adding one at a
time. until you have isolated to device or service.

Also, when your machine is starting run task manager, click on the
"Processes" tab. Clcik on the column header labeled "CPU" twice. This
will alow you to see where your system resources are going during
startup and more importantly -- which process or service was running
when the system crashed.

Write everything down. You should be able to figure out what's causing
your problem and what you need to remove from your system.
Lafayette Jefferson
Friendly Computers of Greater Boston

Hi

If 'Last Known Good Configuration' and a System Restore do not wok, then you
will have to try a 'Repair' install of XP. Please have a look at the
following article by Michael Stevens:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. Last night my computer crashed. When I tried to reload Windows XP it
> stops on the splash screen. (The one with "Windows XP" and the nifty
> little
> blue progress bar...)
>
> I tried Last Known Config... got the same results.
> I tried System Restore... and the same thing keeps happening.
>
> I can load up in Safe Mode... but I don't know where to go from there to
> fix
> this.
>
> I've searched these discussion groups so I have a general idea of what I'm
> going to need to do to resolve this issue...
>
> Is there a KB article that outlines the order of steps I should follow?

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ugh.

Even it I can get in through Safe Mode 100% of the time?

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> If 'Last Known Good Configuration' and a System Restore do not wok, then you
> will have to try a 'Repair' install of XP. Please have a look at the
> following article by Michael Stevens:
>
> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. Last night my computer crashed. When I tried to reload Windows XP it
> > stops on the splash screen. (The one with "Windows XP" and the nifty
> > little
> > blue progress bar...)
> >
> > I tried Last Known Config... got the same results.
> > I tried System Restore... and the same thing keeps happening.
> >
> > I can load up in Safe Mode... but I don't know where to go from there to
> > fix
> > this.
> >
> > I've searched these discussion groups so I have a general idea of what I'm
> > going to need to do to resolve this issue...
> >
> > Is there a KB article that outlines the order of steps I should follow?

You don't have much left to you in terms of options if "last known good
configuration" and "System Restore" which you can reach in Safe Mode don't
resolve the issue.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

> Ugh.
>
> Even it I can get in through Safe Mode 100% of the time?
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> If 'Last Known Good Configuration' and a System Restore do not wok, then
>> you
>> will have to try a 'Repair' install of XP. Please have a look at the
>> following article by Michael Stevens:
>>
>> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> --
>>

>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi. Last night my computer crashed. When I tried to reload Windows XP
>> > it
>> > stops on the splash screen. (The one with "Windows XP" and the nifty
>> > little
>> > blue progress bar...)
>> >
>> > I tried Last Known Config... got the same results.
>> > I tried System Restore... and the same thing keeps happening.
>> >
>> > I can load up in Safe Mode... but I don't know where to go from there
>> > fix
>> > this.
>> >
>> > I've searched these discussion groups so I have a general idea of what
>> > I'm
>> > going to need to do to resolve this issue...
>> >
>> > Is there a KB article that outlines the order of steps I should follow?

Hi

I suggested that you have a look at Michael's web page in regard to a
'Repair' install of XP. As the other options you have already tried haven't
helped, you haven't many options left I'm afraid.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ugh.
>
> Even it I can get in through Safe Mode 100% of the time?
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> If 'Last Known Good Configuration' and a System Restore do not wok, then
>> you
>> will have to try a 'Repair' install of XP. Please have a look at the
>> following article by Michael Stevens:
>>
>> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> --
>>

>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi. Last night my computer crashed. When I tried to reload Windows XP
>> > it
>> > stops on the splash screen. (The one with "Windows XP" and the nifty
>> > little
>> > blue progress bar...)
>> >
>> > I tried Last Known Config... got the same results.
>> > I tried System Restore... and the same thing keeps happening.
>> >
>> > I can load up in Safe Mode... but I don't know where to go from there
>> > fix
>> > this.
>> >
>> > I've searched these discussion groups so I have a general idea of what
>> > I'm
>> > going to need to do to resolve this issue...
>> >
>> > Is there a KB article that outlines the order of steps I should follow?

Have you tried booting from the CD and doing a repair install?