Exchange hosting more than one domain

Hi,

I have a question about hosting message for more than one domain.

Let's say our company is using the domain is mydomain.com. Thus users will
have email address as user@mydomain.com, and using the same for logging in
via OWA.

Recently some users need to have a second email address as
user@nextdomain.com, but would like to receive email address in the same
mailbox as user@mydomain.com.

I have set up nextdomain.com in our DNS (SOA, NS, MX, A records) as a
primary zone. Also I have added SMTP email address in the existing users who
like to have the email address @nextdomain.com in the users' properties
(under Email Address in Active Directory Users and Computers). However this
doesn't seem to work when I tried to send email in from my yahoo.com mail
account. A colleague of mine also try from others, such as gmail and
hotmail.

Would any of you know how this can be set up?

Thanks,
7 answers Last reply
More about exchange hosting domain

    Hi there,

    How is mail being sent to this new domain - is it a SMTP from an ISP or
    is it for internal use only.

    To have email addresses for two different domains on the same Exchange
    server I believe you can add it (and activate it) as a recipient policy
    in Exchange System Manager.

    I have done this before for a client and it worked fine for them.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Forwarding to the correct group.
    "YMan" <yyyy@yyyy.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a question about hosting message for more than one domain.
    >
    > Let's say our company is using the domain is mydomain.com. Thus users will
    > have email address as user@mydomain.com, and using the same for logging in
    > via OWA.
    >
    > Recently some users need to have a second email address as
    > user@nextdomain.com, but would like to receive email address in the same
    > mailbox as user@mydomain.com.
    >
    > I have set up nextdomain.com in our DNS (SOA, NS, MX, A records) as a
    > primary zone. Also I have added SMTP email address in the existing users
    > who like to have the email address @nextdomain.com in the users'
    > properties (under Email Address in Active Directory Users and Computers).
    > However this doesn't seem to work when I tried to send email in from my
    > yahoo.com mail account. A colleague of mine also try from others, such as
    > gmail and hotmail.
    >
    > Would any of you know how this can be set up?
    >
    > Thanks,

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Hi,

    Look at the recipient policy: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF010.html

    Leif

    "YMan" <yyyy@yyyy.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > Forwarding to the correct group.
    > "YMan" <yyyy@yyyy.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a question about hosting message for more than one domain.
    > >
    > > Let's say our company is using the domain is mydomain.com. Thus users
    will
    > > have email address as user@mydomain.com, and using the same for logging
    in
    > > via OWA.
    > >
    > > Recently some users need to have a second email address as
    > > user@nextdomain.com, but would like to receive email address in the same
    > > mailbox as user@mydomain.com.
    > >
    > > I have set up nextdomain.com in our DNS (SOA, NS, MX, A records) as a
    > > primary zone. Also I have added SMTP email address in the existing users
    > > who like to have the email address @nextdomain.com in the users'
    > > properties (under Email Address in Active Directory Users and
    Computers).
    > > However this doesn't seem to work when I tried to send email in from my
    > > yahoo.com mail account. A colleague of mine also try from others, such
    as
    > > gmail and hotmail.
    > >
    > > Would any of you know how this can be set up?
    > >
    > > Thanks,

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    I have tried adding the recipient policy for the domain @nextdomain.com.
    However when I tried to send email to user@nextdomain.com the message
    bounced back with the error message :

    Remote host said: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed
    rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

    Is there anything that I missed? Would it be different if we have using
    Exchange 2003 rather than Exchange 2000? Coz we have more than one Exchange
    servers, with which those who host mailstores are on Exchange 2000. The one
    being treated as an SMTP gateway is on Exchange 2003 (which the SMTP smart
    hosts are all pointed to this SMTP gateway).

    Thx
    "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <leif.pedersenNOSPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Look at the recipient policy:
    > http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF010.html
    >
    > Leif
    >
    > "YMan" <yyyy@yyyy.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    >> Forwarding to the correct group.
    >> "YMan" <yyyy@yyyy.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I have a question about hosting message for more than one domain.
    >> >
    >> > Let's say our company is using the domain is mydomain.com. Thus users
    > will
    >> > have email address as user@mydomain.com, and using the same for logging
    > in
    >> > via OWA.
    >> >
    >> > Recently some users need to have a second email address as
    >> > user@nextdomain.com, but would like to receive email address in the
    >> > same
    >> > mailbox as user@mydomain.com.
    >> >
    >> > I have set up nextdomain.com in our DNS (SOA, NS, MX, A records) as a
    >> > primary zone. Also I have added SMTP email address in the existing
    >> > users
    >> > who like to have the email address @nextdomain.com in the users'
    >> > properties (under Email Address in Active Directory Users and
    > Computers).
    >> > However this doesn't seem to work when I tried to send email in from my
    >> > yahoo.com mail account. A colleague of mine also try from others, such
    > as
    >> > gmail and hotmail.
    >> >
    >> > Would any of you know how this can be set up?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Hi,

    I have never seen that NDR from an exchange server.

    You don't have something else (SMTP scanners or??) between the exchange
    servers and the internet?
    Have you tried to send an email to the new domain from the inside?

    The procedure for hosting multiple SMTP domains are the same for exchange
    2000 and 2003.

    > I have tried adding the recipient policy for the domain @nextdomain.com.
    > However when I tried to send email to user@nextdomain.com the message
    > bounced back with the error message :
    >
    > Remote host said: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed
    > rcpthosts (#5.7.1)
    >
    > Is there anything that I missed? Would it be different if we have using
    > Exchange 2003 rather than Exchange 2000? Coz we have more than one
    Exchange
    > servers, with which those who host mailstores are on Exchange 2000. The
    one
    > being treated as an SMTP gateway is on Exchange 2003 (which the SMTP smart
    > hosts are all pointed to this SMTP gateway).
    >
    > Thx
    > "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <leif.pedersenNOSPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Look at the recipient policy:
    > > http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF010.html
    > >
    > > Leif
    > >
    > > "YMan" <yyyy@yyyy.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > >> Forwarding to the correct group.
    > >> "YMan" <yyyy@yyyy.com> wrote in message

    > > will
    > > in

    > > Computers).
    > > as

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    The only thing between our Exchange server and internet is our firewall. Our
    firewall does have email scanning (virus scanning, Spam filtering etc). The
    NDR is what I got from sending via email at yahoo.com.

    I have also tried what you have suggested, sending to the SMTP address
    user@nextdomain.com from within our LAN. The result was good that I can
    receive what I've sent.

    Would it be something I have misconfigured with DNS? Or there is something
    else I need to configure within Exchange? Let me refresh what I've done so
    far, in the list below:

    1. add a primary zone in our external DNS, with SOA, NS, MX and A record for
    the domain nextdomain.com
    2. also do the same in our internal DNS (which is located on the domain
    controller)
    3. Add email address user@nextdomain.com in the email address property of
    the user's account in our domain mydomain.com for user@mydomain.com
    4. add a recipient policy for nextdomain.com in Exchange System Manager

    The only thing I can think of is whether a SMTP virtual server needs to be
    added. Also is there anything needs to be set in the existing SMTP virtual
    server, such as relay restriction?

    Sorry for lengthy post. Thx.

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have never seen that NDR from an exchange server.
    >
    > You don't have something else (SMTP scanners or??) between the exchange
    > servers and the internet?
    > Have you tried to send an email to the new domain from the inside?
    >
    > The procedure for hosting multiple SMTP domains are the same for exchange
    > 2000 and 2003.
    >
    > Leif
    >
    > "YMan" <yyyy@yyyy.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    >> I have tried adding the recipient policy for the domain @nextdomain.com.
    >> However when I tried to send email to user@nextdomain.com the message
    >> bounced back with the error message :
    >>
    >> Remote host said: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed
    >> rcpthosts (#5.7.1)
    >>
    >> Is there anything that I missed? Would it be different if we have using
    >> Exchange 2003 rather than Exchange 2000? Coz we have more than one
    > Exchange
    >> servers, with which those who host mailstores are on Exchange 2000. The
    > one
    >> being treated as an SMTP gateway is on Exchange 2003 (which the SMTP
    >> smart
    >> hosts are all pointed to this SMTP gateway).
    >>
    >> Thx
    >> "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <leif.pedersenNOSPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > Look at the recipient policy:
    >> > http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF010.html
    >> >
    >> > Leif
    >> >
    >> > "YMan" <yyyy@yyyy.com> skrev i en meddelelse

    >> > will
    > logging
    >> > in

    >> > Computers).
    > my
    > such
    >> > as

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Hi,

    If you can send emails to the new domain from your LAN the exchange server
    is configured properly.

    Try to telnet (port 25) to the new domain from the internet and see which
    server answers.

    Leif
    PS. No need to add MX records etc in your internal DNS.
    PSS. No need to add another SMTP virtual server

    > The only thing between our Exchange server and internet is our firewall.
    Our
    > firewall does have email scanning (virus scanning, Spam filtering etc).
    The
    > NDR is what I got from sending via email at yahoo.com.
    >
    > I have also tried what you have suggested, sending to the SMTP address
    > user@nextdomain.com from within our LAN. The result was good that I can
    > receive what I've sent.
    >
    > Would it be something I have misconfigured with DNS? Or there is something
    > else I need to configure within Exchange? Let me refresh what I've done so
    > far, in the list below:
    >
    > 1. add a primary zone in our external DNS, with SOA, NS, MX and A record
    for
    > the domain nextdomain.com
    > 2. also do the same in our internal DNS (which is located on the domain
    > controller)
    > 3. Add email address user@nextdomain.com in the email address property of
    > the user's account in our domain mydomain.com for user@mydomain.com
    > 4. add a recipient policy for nextdomain.com in Exchange System Manager
    >
    > The only thing I can think of is whether a SMTP virtual server needs to be
    > added. Also is there anything needs to be set in the existing SMTP virtual
    > server, such as relay restriction?
    >
    > Sorry for lengthy post. Thx.
    >
    > "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <leif.pedersenNOSPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have never seen that NDR from an exchange server.
    > >
    > > You don't have something else (SMTP scanners or??) between the exchange
    > > servers and the internet?
    > > Have you tried to send an email to the new domain from the inside?
    > >
    > > The procedure for hosting multiple SMTP domains are the same for
    exchange
    > > 2000 and 2003.
    > >
    > > Leif
    > >
    > > "YMan" <yyyy@yyyy.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > >> I have tried adding the recipient policy for the domain
    @nextdomain.com.
    > >> However when I tried to send email to user@nextdomain.com the message
    > >> bounced back with the error message :
    > >>
    > >> Remote host said: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed
    > >> rcpthosts (#5.7.1)
    > >>
    > >> Is there anything that I missed? Would it be different if we have using
    > >> Exchange 2003 rather than Exchange 2000? Coz we have more than one
    > > Exchange
    > >> servers, with which those who host mailstores are on Exchange 2000. The
    > > one
    > >> being treated as an SMTP gateway is on Exchange 2003 (which the SMTP
    > >> smart
    > >> hosts are all pointed to this SMTP gateway).
    > >>
    > >> Thx
    > >> "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <leif.pedersenNOSPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message

    > > logging

    as