Resizing partitions/volumes

Hi all
Hopefully an easy one for you...

“I have a windows 2000 advanced server set up with three separate physical
drives, the main drive (system files) was created as a basic disk (60GB drive
partitioned into a 6GB drive C and 45GB into another drive (this volume can
be deleted as I can move the data off)) then upgraded to a dynamic disk. The
other two drives (2 x 200GB) are dynamic disks and have been set up as a
single spanned drive to give us 400GB of space.

I have tried to extend the first volume but I am getting the message that
the volume cannot be extended because the drive was created as a basic disk.
Normally I would simply go ahead and rebuild the system but I am paranoid
about the spanned drives breaking and us losing the data held on those drives.

I guess what I am trying to ask here is if I just re-install the OS so that
I can repartition the first drive, will the spanned volumes stay as one drive
or will it reset to being two separate drives and me lose all the data on the
two drives? Taking a back up first might be interesting as the total amount
of data exceeds 190GB (you can see why I have concerns about losing the
mirroring/spanning of the drives)�

Thanks for any help you can give
Regards
Davidt
3 answers Last reply
More about resizing partitions volumes

    Hi David,

    Thanks for posting!

    Based on my research, I would like to provide you with the following
    article for your reference:

    175761 Dynamic vs. Basic Storage in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=175761

    225551 Restrictions on Extending or Spanning Simple Volumes on Dynamic Disks
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=225551

    314343 Basic Storage Versus Dynamic Storage in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314343

    Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
    feel free to let me know.

    Thanks & Regards,

    Jason Tan

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhvbWFz?= <biscut_1975@hotmail.com>
    | Subject: Resizing partitions/volumes
    | Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 04:16:03 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    |
    | Hi all
    | Hopefully an easy one for you...
    |
    | “I have a windows 2000 advanced server set up with three separate
    physical
    | drives, the main drive (system files) was created as a basic disk (60GB
    drive
    | partitioned into a 6GB drive C and 45GB into another drive (this volume
    can
    | be deleted as I can move the data off)) then upgraded to a dynamic disk.
    The
    | other two drives (2 x 200GB) are dynamic disks and have been set up as a
    | single spanned drive to give us 400GB of space.
    |
    | I have tried to extend the first volume but I am getting the message that
    | the volume cannot be extended because the drive was created as a basic
    disk.
    | Normally I would simply go ahead and rebuild the system but I am paranoid
    | about the spanned drives breaking and us losing the data held on those
    drives.

    | I guess what I am trying to ask here is if I just re-install the OS so
    that
    | I can repartition the first drive, will the spanned volumes stay as one
    drive
    | or will it reset to being two separate drives and me lose all the data on
    the
    | two drives? Taking a back up first might be interesting as the total
    amount
    | of data exceeds 190GB (you can see why I have concerns about losing the
    | mirroring/spanning of the drives)�
    |
    | Thanks for any help you can give
    | Regards
    | Davidt

    Hi Jason
    Thanks for the links but in all honesty someone answering with a yes or no
    answer would of been more helpful as I already had most of the info that you
    gave me in those URL's (ok, I admit I should of said that I already had
    looked at those articles so my apologies) I just wasnt sure whether I could
    safely use something like partition magic or some other way round being able
    to extend the volume (boot drive) without either losing the other spanned
    volume or completely breaking something else...

    Thanks anyway

    Regards
    David Thomas

    "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:

    > Hi David,
    >
    > Thanks for posting!
    >
    > Based on my research, I would like to provide you with the following
    > article for your reference:
    >
    > 175761 Dynamic vs. Basic Storage in Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=175761
    >
    > 225551 Restrictions on Extending or Spanning Simple Volumes on Dynamic Disks
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=225551
    >
    > 314343 Basic Storage Versus Dynamic Storage in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314343
    >
    > Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
    > feel free to let me know.
    >
    > Thanks & Regards,
    >
    > Jason Tan
    >
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    > --------------------
    > | From: =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhvbWFz?= <biscut_1975@hotmail.com>
    > | Subject: Resizing partitions/volumes
    > | Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 04:16:03 -0700
    > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    > |
    > | Hi all
    > | Hopefully an easy one for you...
    > |
    > | “I have a windows 2000 advanced server set up with three separate
    > physical
    > | drives, the main drive (system files) was created as a basic disk (60GB
    > drive
    > | partitioned into a 6GB drive C and 45GB into another drive (this volume
    > can
    > | be deleted as I can move the data off)) then upgraded to a dynamic disk.
    > The
    > | other two drives (2 x 200GB) are dynamic disks and have been set up as a
    > | single spanned drive to give us 400GB of space.
    > |
    > | I have tried to extend the first volume but I am getting the message that
    > | the volume cannot be extended because the drive was created as a basic
    > disk.
    > | Normally I would simply go ahead and rebuild the system but I am paranoid
    > | about the spanned drives breaking and us losing the data held on those
    > drives.
    > |
    > | I guess what I am trying to ask here is if I just re-install the OS so
    > that
    > | I can repartition the first drive, will the spanned volumes stay as one
    > drive
    > | or will it reset to being two separate drives and me lose all the data on
    > the
    > | two drives? Taking a back up first might be interesting as the total
    > amount
    > | of data exceeds 190GB (you can see why I have concerns about losing the
    > | mirroring/spanning of the drives)�
    > |
    > | Thanks for any help you can give
    > | Regards
    > | Davidt

    Hello David,

    Thank you for your update!

    Regarding the questions, you'd like to extend system/boot partition. It is
    recommended that there is no Windows built in method to expand boot
    partition.

    Techinically, the configuration information of the dynamic disks is mainly
    saved in the Logical Disk Manager (LDM) database, which is a private region
    of the disk. Therefore you could not safely format system/boot partition.
    It could cause that critical data lost and even new system cannot recognize
    the dynamic volume.

    So, please make sure everything is backed up beforehand. Also, it is good
    to back up the existing data safely with NTbackup or some third party tool
    to tape or other media.

    This recommendation is important, because after you delete the disk and
    volume records from the remaining dynamic disk's LDM database, you may be
    unable to recover it back.

    If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

    Thanks & Regards,

    Jason Tan

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhvbWFz?= <biscut_1975@hotmail.com>
    | Subject: RE: Resizing partitions/volumes
    | Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 09:58:03 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    |
    | Hi Jason
    | Thanks for the links but in all honesty someone answering with a yes or
    no
    | answer would of been more helpful as I already had most of the info that
    you
    | gave me in those URL's (ok, I admit I should of said that I already had
    | looked at those articles so my apologies) I just wasnt sure whether I
    could
    | safely use something like partition magic or some other way round being
    able
    | to extend the volume (boot drive) without either losing the other spanned
    | volume or completely breaking something else...
    |
    | Thanks anyway
    |
    | Regards
    | David Thomas
    |

    | "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
    |
    | > Hi David,
    | >
    | > Thanks for posting!
    | >
    | > Based on my research, I would like to provide you with the following
    | > article for your reference:
    | >
    | > 175761 Dynamic vs. Basic Storage in Windows 2000
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=175761
    | >
    | > 225551 Restrictions on Extending or Spanning Simple Volumes on Dynamic
    Disks
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=225551
    | >
    | > 314343 Basic Storage Versus Dynamic Storage in Windows XP
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314343
    | >
    | > Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear,
    please
    | > feel free to let me know.
    | >
    | > Thanks & Regards,
    | >
    | > Jason Tan
    | >
    | > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    | >
    | > =====================================================
    | >
    | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
    so

    | > =====================================================
    rights.

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhvbWFz?= <biscut_1975@hotmail.com>
    | > | Subject: Resizing partitions/volumes
    | > | Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 04:16:03 -0700
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    | > |
    | > | Hi all
    | > | Hopefully an easy one for you...
    | > |
    | > | “I have a windows 2000 advanced server set up with three
    separate
    | > physical
    | > | drives, the main drive (system files) was created as a basic disk
    (60GB
    | > drive
    | > | partitioned into a 6GB drive C and 45GB into another drive (this
    volume
    | > can
    | > | be deleted as I can move the data off)) then upgraded to a dynamic
    disk.
    | > The
    | > | other two drives (2 x 200GB) are dynamic disks and have been set up
    as a
    | > | single spanned drive to give us 400GB of space.
    | > |
    | > | I have tried to extend the first volume but I am getting the message
    that
    | > | the volume cannot be extended because the drive was created as a
    basic
    | > disk.
    | > | Normally I would simply go ahead and rebuild the system but I am
    paranoid
    | > | about the spanned drives breaking and us losing the data held on
    those
    | > drives.
    | > |
    | > | I guess what I am trying to ask here is if I just re-install the OS
    so
    | > that
    | > | I can repartition the first drive, will the spanned volumes stay as
    one
    | > drive
    | > | or will it reset to being two separate drives and me lose all the
    data on
    | > the
    | > | two drives? Taking a back up first might be interesting as the total
    | > amount
    | > | of data exceeds 190GB (you can see why I have concerns about losing
    the
    | > | mirroring/spanning of the drives)�
    | > |
    | > | Thanks for any help you can give