Weird X850 PRO AGP issue

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Hello, everyone...

I installed an X850 PRO AGP in my girlfriend's Dell Dimention 4400 and everything is fine except every time Windows XP Pro SP2 starts up and loads the Desktop the screen momentarily goes black/blank. Then it returns to normal and the PC works just fine.

What's causing that momentary blackout and is there a way to prevent it from happening?

Thanks.

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Sounds like it's trying to resync the monitor. Use the ATI tool to uninstall the drivers and then reinstall the latest for that card. Also check the refresh rate, and perhaps resolution. Is it an LCD with a native rez, which is different from what the Windows rez is set too?

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
My guess would simply be the Catalyst driver loading. I get a very quick refresh shortly after I hit the Desktop, just as the ATI control panel loads in the system tray. It's not a black/blank like your girlfriend's Dell Dimension but it could very well be the same thing. Her system is probably a bit slower than mine (no offense) which could mean hers takes a bit longer to load the driver causing a slightly longer refresh.

Its just a guess.

Cirtes

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
The quick black screen is caused by the SmartGART performing AGP tests on the bus to determine the optimal settings.

You can access it from the Catalyst Control Panel.

Might be a good time to peek into the system bios and see if all the features of the AGP subsystem are configured optimally.

Cirtes

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Yeah, I got about 120 of 'em in my lab and they all have a regular PC BIOS you can enter and adjust, just like any other PC. Give it a shot, you may get surprised. ;)

Cirtes

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
OK, either way the blank screen is the ATI gart driver gizmo doing its thing. Nothing to worry about.