win 2000 upgrades disrupted adobe and task manager

i was trying to run adobe 6.0 and it will not open. if i go to the task
manager the only thing that shows is the processes running. the task manager
window is missing the entire upper section with the applications and
performance tabs. the only thing that shows is the processes and with adobe
trying to load the cpu performance is in the 80 + range. i uninstalled adobe
and the last updates from microsoft and still nothing. then i reinstalled
them with the same results. not sure what is going on.

i did a search and found my problem with the task manager. have not found any
info about adobe. thanks