Nonpaged pool ? What is it ?

hassan

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.sqlserver.server (More info?)

The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the
pool was empty .

We keep seeing the above errors and our server crashes. I am trying to
understand the basics here as to what is the nonpaged pool ?

And how does the pool become empty and what does it want to allocate ?

Whats a paged pool if theres a nonpaged pool ?

Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.sqlserver.server (More info?)

Hello,

In article <#ThJVX#VFHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
fatima_ja@hotmail.com says...
> The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the
> pool was empty .

Yeah...
What you are running? Win2K3 on a 8 MB machine?! ;)

> We keep seeing the above errors and our server crashes. I am trying to
> understand the basics here as to what is the nonpaged pool ?

Kernel mode components can choose between paged- and nonpaged pool
memory pool, depends on there needs. User mode applications use always
the paged pool, except they lock memory to keep them resident. Paged
memory can be paged out, this means that your hard drive will be used as
memory. Nonpaged pool memory can't be paged out.

> And how does the pool become empty and what does it want to allocate ?

AFAIK if more nonpaged memory is required than available.

--

h.wulff
[dont send me an email]

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.sqlserver.server (More info?)

Hi

Nonpaged pool. The portion of shared system memory that cannot be paged to
the disk paging file. Nonpaged pool memory can be accessed at any time
without causing a page fault.

Page fault. A page fault occurs when a thread accesses a page that is not
in memory. For more information about paging and other memory management
topics, see "Evaluating Memory and Cache Usage" in the Server Operations
Guide of the Microsoft® Windows 2000 Server Resource

Try this link for Windows 2000 Non-Paged Pool Is Exhausted ?

Regards

Ramki