Washers

Do I need them in? Right now, I just have the screws going into the brass standoffs.

Anyone...........
8 answers Last reply
More about washers
  1. OK.....can someone at least tell me what they do when building?

BTW, it is an ASUS P5LD2-VM
  2. I think they are supposed to help keep the screws tight and hold the motherboard in place without damaging anything. I've never used them. They don't really provide any electrical insulation, and the mobo is supposed to be grounded by the screws anyway.
  3. Quote:
    I think they are supposed to help keep the screws tight and hold the motherboard in place without damaging anything. I've never used them. They don't really provide any electrical insulation, and the mobo is supposed to be grounded by the screws anyway.

TY. I wanted to know before I power up.
  4. The washers on the mobo standoffs are not essential. And yes, the mobo does get grounded to the chassis of the case through the screw holes as well.
  5. Haven't used them in all of my builds and I have no problems with the mounts , so I guess it's not needed.
  6. I've never used them either and I haven't had any probs.
  7. I've used them & not used them, did not make any difference.
  8. I use some nylon-like material for standoffs... (had to buy a gross of them, so I'm good for a few more builds...)

The MB is NOT supposed to be grounded to the case, it should get its ground through (and only through) the PSU. I therefore don't trust the metal standoffs.... The washers? I use them, they might help keep the screw from loosening through vibration. I also use them because they are provided, and my loose bits bucket is already getting overloaded.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Motherboards