How do i get a program not to run when I start my computer

How do i get a program not to run when I start my computer. When I need it
I'll start it. Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about program start computer

    THANKS it worked :)

    In news:AD757835-57B0-4196-B828-DA51BE872C2F@microsoft.com,
    leadpipe <leadpipe@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > How do i get a program not to run when I start my computer.
    > When I
    > need it I'll start it. Thanks

    On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
    Options to see if it has the choice not to start. Many can easily
    and best be stopped that way. If that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG
    from the Start | Run line, and on the Startup tab, uncheck the
    programs you don't want to start automatically.

    However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose
    of running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many
    people tell you, you should be concerned, not with how many of
    these programs you run, but which. Some of them can hurt
    performance severely, but others have no effect on performance.

    Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you
    should do is determine what each program is, what its value is to
    you, and what the cost in performance is of its running all the
    time. You can get more information about these with at
    http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't find it
    there, try google searches and ask about specifics here.

    Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent
    informed decision about what you want to keep and what you want
    to get rid of.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Heads up. The next time you start Quick Time, it will recheck the qttask box
    so Quick Time will again start when Windows is started. It is an annoying
    feature of this particular application.

    leadpipe wrote:
    > How do i get a program not to run when I start my computer. When I need it
    > I'll start it. Thanks

    In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
    simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
    "display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

    Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
    Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
    system registry, primarily in the
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi

    From Start>Run type

    msconfig

    then click on the startup tab. Uncheck any programs that you don't want
    starting up with Windows, then reboot your system.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "leadpipe" <leadpipe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do i get a program not to run when I start my computer. When I need
    > it
    > I'll start it. Thanks

    I don't see Quick Time on the start up list ? Any other suggestions for
    changing start up programs? I see one called "qttask" but I don't think that
    is it. I'm scared to take it off if I don't know what it is. Thx

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > From Start>Run type
    >
    > msconfig
    >
    > then click on the startup tab. Uncheck any programs that you don't want
    > starting up with Windows, then reboot your system.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "leadpipe" <leadpipe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How do i get a program not to run when I start my computer. When I need
    > > it
    > > I'll start it. Thanks

    qttask is Quick Time.

    >I don't see Quick Time on the start up list ? Any other suggestions for
    > changing start up programs? I see one called "qttask" but I don't think
    > that
    > is it. I'm scared to take it off if I don't know what it is. Thx
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> From Start>Run type
    >>
    >> msconfig
    >>
    >> then click on the startup tab. Uncheck any programs that you don't want
    >> starting up with Windows, then reboot your system.
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "leadpipe" <leadpipe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > How do i get a program not to run when I start my computer. When I
    >> > need
    >> > it
    >> > I'll start it. Thanks

    Hi

    "qttask" is the Quicktime file.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "leadpipe" <leadpipe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I don't see Quick Time on the start up list ? Any other suggestions for
    > changing start up programs? I see one called "qttask" but I don't think
    > that
    > is it. I'm scared to take it off if I don't know what it is. Thx
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> From Start>Run type
    >>
    >> msconfig
    >>
    >> then click on the startup tab. Uncheck any programs that you don't want
    >> starting up with Windows, then reboot your system.
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "leadpipe" <leadpipe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > How do i get a program not to run when I start my computer. When I
    >> > need
    >> > it
    >> > I'll start it. Thanks

    Programmer where wife works gave her this solution for me which worked:

    "actually, you can disable this option. if using QT6, go to control panel
    and double-click the QT icon. Select 'Browser Plug-in' from the drop down
    list, you should see 'Quick Time system tray icon' option."

    "leadpipe" wrote:

    > How do i get a program not to run when I start my computer. When I need it
    > I'll start it. Thanks

Computers Microsoft Windows XP