P5W DH Deluxe - USB detection (POST) slow

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
P5W DH Deluxe - C2D 6600, 2GB Crucial DDR2-800, GFX 7600GS, 2x300GB Seagate SATA 7200.9 in RAID1 and 1x750GB (Seagate) on 3rd SATA port (JMICRON not in use), Bios version is 1503. Using FDD (non-USB). Not overclocking yet - only bumped up the memory voltage to make the memory run at rated speed

Problem is that during post, it waits about 10-15 seconds after "initializing USB devices" and before it detects the USB devices. (it works fine after that). I have a Dell 24" monitor and I removed it's USB connector from the PC - brought it down to just the KB/Mouse connected to the rear USB ports (I'm not using the "wake-up" ports) - didn't make a difference at all.

This issue has cropped up earlier on this board (and on ASUS's support forum) - I read them (hope I didn't miss any), but didn't get an answer that worked for me, so I thought I'd ask here.

Some other users have been able to get POST faster by using PS2 I/O devices, (for others, that didn't make a difference either). I don't have that option.
Any suggestions or pointers?
Thanks!

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I know - 10-15 seconds may not sound like a very long time, but when the dell optiplex at my office can boot up significantly faster than my "souped up" home computer with high end parts, it makes me a little frustrated... :)

kcrush

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
Don't know if there really is one. When I was building a machine with that board none of the bios settings made a significant different in POST time. It is one of the slower POSTing boards of this generation (that I've witnessed).

Though I removed the FDD and disabled the option so it wouldn't even look for it. Your high-end parts aren't to blame and OC'ing them isn't likely to make any difference since the delay seems to be inherint in the MB itself.

I've had it sit even when no USB devices are present. But once I got it up and running it ran fast and smooth.

Unfortunately I've shipped the computer to the customer so I can't play with it anymore.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I have a P5B deluxe and mine hangs during boot sometimes only when I have an external USB harddrive connected. Once I turn the external HDD off, I have absolutely no problems whatsoever on boot. It'll usually boot up just fine with the external HDD on and it'll show up in my computer, but when my computer hangs when booting, I've noticed that my external USB HDD is MIA in My Computer. I have to turn it off and back on for it to show up.

So, after all that, do you have an external USB HDD connected?