Raptor All Fubared

BoomBatz

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I am concerned that my raptor is not running in sata mode, so I am not gaining the full speed/ performance advantage that it has...... I am using a single drive, and do not wish to implement any raid.

Abit AB9Pro, WD 150gb Raptor. In the bios for the "Onchip IDE mode" you can select IDE, AHCI, or raid. Then there is the "onchip PCI" and "Onboard PCI" menu items, both of which give you the option of IDE or Raid.

It does not make sense to me that the sata mode selection is on the Onchip IDE mode menu, but I selected AHCI. The onchip and onboard PCI items i disabled since i am not using them. At this point, I would expect to have to f6 load drivers during windows install. I have tried every dadgum disk that came with the motherboard and several disks that i found laying around and nothing works, i just get the no hardrive found when i try to install windows 2000. The disk is plugged into sata1 which is on the intel southbridge. The bios is flashed and up to date.

If i use the IDE mode, everything works great. However I am concerned that using this method is hurting the raptors performance.

I think I might be just overlooking something simple .......???? I can't believe I am having an issue with something this simple, but hey it happens to the best of us.! Thanks for any insight.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Select the IDE and live a full life.

If you're not doing intense gaming, or editing movies, the performance difference will be negligible to you.

If you're not comfortable with that, you can go to Abits' site & download their SATA drivers for that mobo. BTW, did you look on the mobo cd?

BoomBatz

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Yes, I used the floppies that came with the mobo. I will be doing heavy gaming and heavy vid editing! Why would sata mode options be on something called ide????????? Perhaps i should try plugging the raptor into the other ports (non intel southbridge) or would that make any sense? would it just make it more jacked up then it probably already is?